Chapter 14

It was times like this Valerie was ready to shake one of the Goodwin boys, and beat some sense into them. This man was begging to be a grandfather. The kids hung off of him like Christmas tree ornaments. Then again, she wondered if actual grandkids would be competition for their Uncle Abie. The man was a natural as he put Kayla on one hip and Jamaal on the other, and rushed them them into the Minivan.

She'd had one year old Adrian on her hip resting his head on her shoulder dozing off. Valerie looked around and noticed Dee coming out of the house, she was the last one out of the house She looked out and did another head count.

Melanie and Mike were riding with Dee in Mike's car, Mr. Abe, Christian,Issac, and Jake were riding in Issac's car, after much ego battles, and Valerie was riding with the kids and Cam. They were attempting to use as few cars as possible. Abe even suggested a bus. That would have been a good idea next time, that would have ended a few arguments and they wouldn't have a three car caravan to keep track of. You would have thought it was a family reunion. Than again that was pretty much what this was.

Valerie still dealt with the off feeling that she was leaving or forgetting something as she handed Adrian over to to Abe. She looked back at the house and thought. All the kids had their diaper bags, she had her purse, the stove was off, the lights...

"Everybody strapped in?" Abe asked as he slipped.

"I'm hungry."

"Kayla, you just ate."

"We'll get something to eat on the way."

Valerie huffed. "We're running late." The sun was setting and they had at least an hour drive ahead of them.

Abe cradled the sides of her neck with a smile. "Val, it's okay, we can grab a bite, it's no problem."

That was sudden. Valerie thought, and his face was closer than she imagined. Her eyes trailed over to Christian who was looking directly at them. His jaw tensed as he slipped into the back seat of Issac's car. She'd forgotten about the letters, and now she felt bad.

"I'm sorry."

Valerie dropped her head. "No, it's fine." She assured. She didn't want to tell him the truth, and embarrass Christian. "I just..." She giggled as she looked back at her daughter, "You're going to spoil her you know that."

He smiled. "That is may intention."

Valerie giggled but she felt a burn in her eyes. It wasn't like her father was there to.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah." She blinked, "Fine."

"Well, stop and get something light."

Valerie detested fast food, Mr. Abe was always so sweet. Valerie just nodded.

"Okay." He said. As he walked away the cold chill of the weather flooded her. That man was like a walking sun. She thought. She hoped he'd find love again.

"It's too bad Rachael couldn't come." Abe looked over at Issac's house.

"Yeah, Rachael's under the weather." Issac said fighting a smile.

"That's funny?" Christian said.

Issac sighed. "It may be a long shot, but I'm hoping she's pregnant."

"If it's morning sickness. You might want to stay with her." Abe suggested.

He shrugged, "Trust me, I tried. She practically begged me to go. I'm just going to keep checking in."

"I think maybe it's you giving her an upset stomach." Christian teased.

"Christian." Abe chided.