Your Soul ~ XVI

(Nagisa's POV)

"Well, that's everything." Said dad, wiping sweat from his forehead. "Man that's a relief."

I frowned as I stared at him, his grayish hair sticking to his sweaty face. "You're exhausted...and it was only one bag and the extra things you bought before picking me up." I pointed out, Karma wiggling out of my arms and falling to the floor. "You didn't need to help you know...I could've done it by myself."

Dad grinned. "Yeah I know, but I wanted to help." He walked to the door, stopping at the exit. "I'll let you settle in, I'll come by in a few minutes to ask you what you want to eat for lunch. You need more meat on those bones."

I released a dry laugh. His comment making me feel uncomfortable despite it not meaning anything serious. "Alright. Thank you."

Once he was gone, I fell backwards onto the mattress. Not as comfortable as the one at home, but still acceptable. He's forcing himself to act carefree for my sake, he doesn't need to do it....dad being himself is enough for me. It feels strange being here, but it feels nice. Back at home I could hardly breathe, constantly worrying about mom being in her moods. I sighed. I need to make sure I don't get used to staying here, because in a few days, I'll be going back.

"Your dad seems...nice. Awkward. But nice." Karma spoke. "Has a terrible sense of humor, but at least he's a decent human."

A smile tugged at my lips. "Glad you approve." I rolled onto my side, my head resting on my arm. "He's nice, I remember when he used to live with us, he would pick a day where we could eat all the junk food we wanted."

The demon hummed and hopped onto the bed, curling into a ball against my stomach. "He has a nice scent too. Nothing compared to yours, but a way better scent than everyone else."

Is this the part where I should be weirded out? I mean, demons have a way better sense of smell...Now to think about what I want for lunch, though I'm not hungry since the sushi from earlier is still in my system. But I don't want to make dad feel bad by refusing his food. I shrugged it off and laid there with Karma. It was silent for a moment, not an awkward silence or an uncomfortable silence, it was just a normal silence.

Everything was peaceful until a thought crash-landed into my head and caused a bomb to go off. I sat up, hand over my mouth as I analyzed this thought.

"You okay, Nagi?"

"Karma. I have a question." I didn't move from my position, but I felt the demon cat move so he was on my lap. "Do you think you could answer honestly..?"

Karma didn't answer, instead he only sat there. I can't believe I realized this...and he's been living with me for how long..? Anyway, it's sort of freaky in a way. Karma climbed up until he was on my shoulder, his upper body on my head.

"Depends on what it is." Was what he said. "If it's about the earlier incident, don't think you're getting an answer out of me."

I shook my head, careful not to shake him off and have him land on the other side of the room. It's no secret that I want to know what made him act so strange this morning. Though the fact that he slept had me taken aback as well. But like he said, if I asked anything regarding the earlier events, he won't answer.

"I was wondering..." I began, lowering my hands onto the bed. "Where do you get your clothes?"

"What."

For some reason my face began to heat up. "Where—where do you get...your clothes?" I repeated my question. "Ever since you...started living with me, every day...you would have a different change of clothes. But I don't know where you get them from or where you put them. It can't be my clothes because I'm a smaller size than you, and it's not mom's...so where do you get them?"