Chapter 19: Departing

🎓3rd Person🔪

After a week, Karma came back home from the hospital along with the man that was with Akai and another unknown man, with Nagisa waiting eagerly at the former's house. The redhead looked sluggish and unhealthy, as if he's been in a torture for all the time he's gone. Nagisa noticed this, and his heart clenched painfully inside.

'I wonder what Karma has gone to...I hope it's not that bad.'

"Karma!" Nagisa excitedly cheered as the boy entered the house. Karma's head snapped up in surprise when he heard the familiar voice, a trace of anticipation and joy evident on his small face. But when he saw Nagisa's charming smile, his own lips stopped before he can mutter the latter's name. He forcefully bit his lip then gave a forced polite smile towards the bluehead.

"Hi, Nagisa-kun. Nice to see you again." Nagisa paused and stared at the boy in front of him. He noticed every movement of Karma. When he(Karma) was about to smile and call out to him but stopped, when he was about to step forward to run to him but falters, when traces of emotion flashed through the golden eyes before dimming into nothingness. Nagisa knew it.

His best friend became someone different.

Yet Nagisa didn't mention it and returned the smile in a more polite manner. Karma's heart ached at the sight, yet he knew he can't do anything about it. He can't do anything about them.

'As long as I do what they say, then they will...'

"Oh my! This is a celebration! Come on in, everyone. Let's have dinner together." Kira said and clapped her hands, smiling then gesturing them to the dining hall to eat. All of them nodded, while the adults had whispers of nonsense for their conversations. Nagisa walked on after giving a swift unnoticed glance to Karma, and when the other saw the former leaving, he clenched his fists at his side.

'Nagisa...'

Night came and the bunch of people just finished eating, now talking to each other as they conversed about things that doesn't really enter the interest of Karma.

"---Oh yes! It seems like Karma is healthier now. Look, he seems happy!" Kira beamed. Karma's gaze sharpened for a second before returning to a void one, not even giving a glance to others. Nagisa just continued slurping the strawberry shake he was given to.

"Hahaha! Everything will be fine as long as you follow the prescription and advice." Answered the new man beside Akai. If Nagisa's correct then that old man is Karma's 'doctor'. Akai just laughed, Kira and Hiromi just smiled. The other man, probably the nurse, just remained silent.

"So, be a good boy now, oka---" before the doctor can even lift his hand, Karma already pushed his chair away and stood up, earning the looks of the people on the table.

"Mom, Dad, I'm tired. Please excuse me." He lukewarmly said and moved to leave. As much as he wanted to stay with the boy he adores, he just looked down and went upstairs.

The hall suddenly became silent, and Akai broke it with a helpless sigh.

"I'm sorry everyone. It seems like my son is still feeling a bit tired so he's like that." He apologized. The others just said that it was nothing and returned to their talk. After an hour, the two hospital workers already excused themselves and left, leaving Hiromi and Nagisa as the only visitors.

It was already 10 o'clock when Hiromi noticed the time. She gasped and then turned to Kira.

"Sorry Kira. I think we should go. Thank you for your invitation, by the way." She was just about to stand up when her best friend stopped her.