5. Ice-Skating with HulkBuster

I woke up, dazzled by the bright, New York skyline greeting me. I had tossed and turned all night, too hot in the cotton duvet that had been given to me. A thin layer of ice covered my neck and forehead, a sign that I was indeed too hot last night, and that my body had cooled myself down automatically. I was surprised to see frost covering the blanket, and tried to brush it off best I could. The room was freezing, and for me to remark on it being so, meant that it was most likely below -10 degrees celsius. Frozen condensation coated the windows like smog, and I was surprised to see that frost covered the door as well. I didn't remember turning my room into a winter wonderland last night. 

I thought back to when Madam B lectured me about my powers: " You must have control. Your powers do not control you, you control them"

Yes, I had to learn to control them more, even if that meant not using them for a while. Control was the key to any form of self defense, a main point that had been drilled into us at the Red Room.

I quickly had a shower and dressed myself in the outfit that S.H.I.E.L.D had given me, making sure that I didn't freeze anything in the process of doing so. The scalding hot water burnt my back, but it was nice to have a bit of warmth once in a while. When I walked out of the bathroom, Clint Barton was at my door, in uniform, waiting. 

" I assumed that you would be asleep at this time" he thought to himself.

" You assumed wrong" I shot back.

" Didn't know that you had a habit of turning rooms into the North Pole"

" Specialty of mine"

" Fury was right, you would be up this early. He has moved your training session to in umm- "he looked at his watch. " 5 minutes. Follow me."

Even if it was 6 o'clock in the morning, people were up and running, getting to work as usual to make sure that the Avengers tower was up and running. I noticed that S.H.I.E.L.D had an undeniable presence here, even when the building was still owned my Stark industries. Clint walked us through some hallways and labs, making sure that I wouldn't be too close to potential catastrophes. 

" Interesting" I said to myself.

" What is?" he asked.

" You put me across the entire building from the training room, and most of the labs. Looks like you don't take risks after all"

"What make you think we take risks?"

"Oh, just the fact that you followed an anonymous tip-off to a warehouse that you knew next to nothing about. And, you put canola oil in Starks scotch"

" I'm not gonna lie, we do some pretty messed up shit sometimes" he said, shrugging.

We walked into a giant room, weapons of all sorts lining the walls. It was otherwise empty, with no mats or boxing rings to speak of. I guess the Avengers didn't need that sort of thing. On one wall, there was a one-way mirror, and I presumed that Agent Fury would be in there, along with a pack of guards in case things got out of hand. 

A voice came from the loudspeaker " Good morning, Experiment A-9753, grab a desired weapon and get into starting position. We will give you two minutes."

Two minutes until what? I glanced at Clint. He just shrugged his shoulders and backed out of the room. 

" Good luck. You're gonna need it"

I glared at him and looked at the wall. I didn't know what I was attacking, so it was hard to choose a weapon. Ice was useful for long distance, I could throw daggers made of ice or giant ice balls at the attacker. Bows, guns and crossbows were off the list. Knives were too risky. If I were to be defending  myself against anything larger than Cap, knives and tasers would be useless. I would probably benefit from something large and sharp but not too heavy, good for creating space between me and my attacker, but also not slowing me down.