10. Нет дыма без огня

The Quinjet took off from the Avengers tower early the next day. I had at least 6 full hours of sleep the night before, so I was awake and alert for the mission. 

In the morning, Bruce had given me a brain scan, so that when we were on our mission, he could look over it and have the results back ASAP. Not only was I curious about the results, but also relieved that the Hulk was off our hands. I didn't want a major distraction during the mission, not when so many things could go wrong already.

Steve, Natasha and Clint wore photostatic veils, so that they would look like completely different people while infiltrating the Red Room; they wouldn't get caught.  They would all be posing as visitors, pretending to be completely oblivious that the Red Room was in fact a secret assassin academy. 

I was to be deployed a few kilometres from Kazen, a city in Russia to find where the Red Room was. They had attached a tracker to my Red Room academy uniform, and could track me from there if getting too close was dangerous. I was to be followed by the Avengers to the Red Room, with 2 Quinjets. One included Tony and Thor, the other, Steve, Nat and Clint, who would be dropped off near the Red Room.

I had a cover story, and it seemed to be a well thought out plan.  We just had to get the girls out, and then we could unleash chaos on Hydra. I looked forward to that.

" Maeve, deploying in 5-4-3-" said Tony, who was piloting the Quinjet.

A large cargo door opened at the back of the Quinjet as the plane descended. When it was about 30 feet off the ground, I jumped, hitting the ground hard and rolling to absorb the impact. In case someone was watching, I ran from the Quinjet as soon as I landed, not wasting any time.

I was on the outskirts of Kazan, in a field of sunflowers. Although the field was pretty, it was even better that there was a forest nearby that I could escape through. I didn't want to be caught up with any angry farmers.

I travelled through the countryside all afternoon, stopping only to drink water from streams and rivers. I couldn't say that I was pleased to be in Russia again, but the beautiful scenery made me rethink it. No place in the world was like Russia. The way the country houses were built, with so much thought into the architecture and warmth factor. These houses were nothing like the ones in New York, which were made of metal and stone.

  As I neared Kazan, I spotted the bright lights of the city, blinding me from spending so many hours walking in darkness. I knew what I needed to do. Where I needed to be.

I walked through the dark streets, to a place that I knew was where I should have been two days ago. The place that I went after every mission. 

The building was dark and each step creaked as I ascended an old staircase. I put on a cold expression, one that I had worn every time I was at the Red Room. One that I would wear for the next few days.

I knocked three times on the door, and entered the four digit password. 

The door slowly creaked open, revealing a tall servant, who aimed his gun on me. 

" We have been waiting, Experiment A-9753" came a scratchy voice from inside.

He lounged on a plush chair by a roaring fire, smoking a cigar. A tall, lanky man wearing baggy clothes, without shoes. His face was hidden by a wide brimmed hat. A face that I had never seen before.

" Always a pleasure to meet you, Dimochka" I seethed, leaning against the wall.  

" I wish I could say he same.. but sadly, Madam B is not happy that you have not returned to Russia in time. Neither is she happy that we couldn't track you"

" The mission was compromised. I am fortunate to be alive"

" Do I look like I care?" He said, dragging on his cigar. " Now that a highly dangerous weapon is supposedly disappeared off of the face of the earth, it somehow comes into my hands...". He lifted his sleeve from his arm, revealing a nasty scratch." I get the blame for all of you misfortunes, don't I?"

" You know, Dimochka, you should really pursue another job, this one is not benefiting you. Maybe a drug dealer" I said in Russian.

" The pay is good. And, I get protection. I don't need another career" he signaled to his servants.

He dragged on his cigar again, and blew out a puff of smoke into my face. I covered my eyes, simultaneously feeling a nip on my neck. A dart.

" Sorry," Dimochka said. " Madam B wants you in one piece. Unfortunately, you won't exit the Red Room in one piece" he said matter-of-factly " Fortunately for me, I couldn't resist the temptation of money, you know that, darling"

" You will pay for that" I murmured, summoning my ice powers. I could kill him before blacking out.

" No, I don't think I will"

A hard object hit the back of my head, and all I knew was darkness.