11. Secrets and Roses

I woke up in a dark room, my head fuzzy from the dart. It wasn't long before I realised that I was under the Academy, in one of the Torture rooms. I was tied to a small chair with metal chains. A cold metal circle pressed the back of my head, and a light came on, blinding me.

" What do we have here?" came a sly voice from the other side of the room.

" Please. I can explain" I stammered, breathing heavily.

" There is no possible explanation that can get you out of this, A-9753" said Madam B. I squinted and there she was, holding a knife to my face.

" I was captured by the Avengers." I said, letting a tear escape my eye. " They tortured me for information, but I didn't give anything to them, I swear! I was able to escape... I stole the Quinjet and flew to Russia"

She slapped me on the face, the blow landing fast and hard. I blinked a couple of times to get the blurriness out of my vision. 

" Thank your lucky stars that you are the only successful experiment, girl. If you weren't, I would kill you in a heartbeat. For now, you deserve some pain. A tiny bit of the anguish that you caused us while you were away.  And you expect me to believe your story? You little liar. You scheming, devilish bastard.

I know you too well, girl. You would have escaped them far sooner than in 2 days. You would be able to escape in 2 seconds. I have trained you too well. Either you teamed up with the Avengers, or you were telling the truth, but were able to get information from them. You are not telling me something, and that deserves punishment"

She slapped me across the face once more, and I spat out blood. 

Steve

The plan was going as well as we had thought. We each wore photostatic veils, disguising our faces to look like young tourists, enjoying our day out. Underneath, we had weapons and armour, although I couldn't bring my shield because it was too large. I carried knives and iron knuckles instead. Tony led us deep into the Russian countryside, near the Volga River, and dropped us off at a tourist destination, with a sign that said: 

Ballet Academy- Visiting hours permitted for tourists only. Cost: Free. No paperwork required. NO PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED.

Nat, Clint and I knew what was going on the moment we read the sign. We followed a trail through the forest for about an hour before we saw the Academy. It was like a giant estate, teaming with wildlife and lovely architecture. It stretched off into the distance, unknown in its size. Thousand of windows dotted the house, making it look open and inviting. I frowned, and I sensed Nat and Clint do the same behind me. No girls were outside, neither were any teachers. 

Someone met us at the doorway, welcoming us in with a loving smile. " Hello, are you visitors? Yes? Well, come in" she said in Russian.

Nat spoke to the woman in faltering Russian, playing the part of a tourist with ease. We all filed inside the building, beautiful music floating through the corridors. It almost reminded me of the time spent with Penny, so intimate and delightful that I almost lost myself in her presence. I snapped out of the thought quickly, pretending to look around the Academy in awe. The woman, who presented herself as Madame Feodora, showed us around the ballet part of the Academy. 

As we got deeper and deeper into the place, I started to notice girls having combat lessons. Teachers yelling at their students and commanding them to attack one another. Men fighting against girls who weren't old enough to go to middle school. Nat looked away; I could tell that she was uncomfortable, but she wasn't showing it.