6. Decisions, Decisions

The avengers gathered in the conference room that afternoon, each sitting or leaning on chairs.

Tony gave an over exaggerated sigh, walking in last. "Jarvis, get up all we know about Experiment A-9753, stat."

A hologram display lit up the back of the room, and the Avengers turned toward the light. A single name, and a picture appeared. " I thought there would be more" Clint mused, lifting his legs onto the table.

" No birth certificates, No names, No files. Not even any public cameras have picked her up. It's like she's been completely wiped off the face of earth" Tony stated, rubbing the back of his neck in frustration.

" Even I had more information than her." Natasha said. " It might explain why the Red Room has been kept a secret for all this time"

" Than why get her to come after us if they want to keep her a secret?" Clint asked.

" Maybe, " Steve thought out loud, looking at Natasha. "Maybe she tried to assassinate Clint and Nat for a reason. A reason other than trying to kill them"

"That might be the reason why she had no files, because the person who sent her knew she might fail, and ultimately, be questioned by us" Bruce quietly said, in deep thought. " It would explain why she didn't know where the Red Room was, despite obviously travelling to different countries to assassinate people before."

" If she escapes the Avengers Tower, it also means we can't find her again." Steve said.

The Avengers fell silent. 

Bruce piped up. " The way I see it is that we have two options. Number one, we give her up to S.H.I.E.L.D. They will potentially lock her up, or use her as a weapon against us if we get out of control. Number two, we get her in the group and convince Fury to involve her in the Avengers initiative program. She can lead us to uncover the Red Room, and save the girls, taking us one step further to obliterate Hydra. She helps us with our new little security breach problem that Fury was talking to us about."

"Oh, yeah, he didn't brief me about that" Natasha said.

Steve went over the basics. "The sceptre was stolen. Don't know who, how or why."

"What?! This is a top priority. Why haven't we dispatched any S.H.I.E.L.D secret agents?" Natasha demanded, sitting up in her chair.

" We haven't got any leads. For now, Fury has decided to interview Loki some time this week. But without the tesseract, the thief cannot do as much damage as Loki did "

" Except for have an army of mind-controlled civilians?"

" The point is, we are in no danger of having another portal opened. The tesseract is safely in Asgard, guarded by Thor" Steve insisted.

" By the way," Bruce asked, " When is Thor coming over? I haven't seen him since Loki's fight"

" He's switching between staying with Jane Foster and on Asgard" 

" What were we talking about?" Clint questioned. " I feel like we've gone off topic"

Steve went back to the previous subject. " Experiment A-9753 should have the chance to join the Avengers. She can adapt, just like you did, Nat"

" She's an experiment" Tony argued. " Untrustworthy and unpredictable"

" I think that everyone should have a chance" Steve countered.

" As much as I would love to see you two fight, I'm going on Cap's side, Nat had a second chance, why not her?" said Clint. " Obviously, we will have to get her to trust us, and in turn, we will trust her. It'll take a long time, but I think we should give it a shot."