13.Healing

I opened my eyes, blinking the stupor away like wiping fog off of glass. All I could see is white. White ceiling, white walls, and a beeping, growing in intensity next too my head. My breathing quickened, and I understand why I am here. Experiments .

I try to rip off the wires attached to my arms, and my shoulder screamed in protest. A strong arm grabbed my hand, and set it down on the bed. I squirmed, and looked up. Clint Barton. The man I was sent to kill. By the Red Room. The Red Room. The memories came flooding back. Fire and Ice. Loki. Russia. The Red Room. The girls.

" Don't go escaping on us, Maeve" Clint said, leaning back on his chair.

I sighed, sinking back onto the bed. I was safe. The girls were safe. The Avengers were safe.

" Are the girls alright?" I asked.

" Last I heard, they're in an orphanage in Russia. It's going to be a long time before they become mentally stable, but it's better than nothing"

I thought back to the Red Room. It was gone. Hydra soldiers had tried to defend the academy against the Avengers, but they had gotten away with the girls. Loki and I had gotten out just in time; if we were any later, Hydra would have killed us in seconds. I had been beaten up badly, by Madam B and the servants, and shot. Twice. At least no-one else had gotten badly injured. I shoved away all thoughts of what happened in the room with Madam B; I would deal with them later.

My stomach grumbled, and I knew that I hadn't eaten in days. " How long has it been since I blacked out?"

Clint put his hand to his chin, thinking. " Um, well, the quinjet flight was on Tuesday, We came back at midnight, and now, it's Sunday. So about 4 and a half days. Are you hungry? I could get you something-"

" How long until I can get out of this bed?"

" Maeve, Calm down. Maybe a few days. I'm going out to get some food. I'll send in a doctor to check on you."

I huffed; I hated being coddled. He walked out the door, swinging it shut and leaving me alone. I let my mind clear. It was only going to be a few days until I was let out, after all, it was only two gunshot wounds and some bruises.

A doctor came in, dressed head to toe in white. With greying hair and a board in his hand. He sighed. "You Avengers are always getting yourselves hurt. Do you want to know your condition?"

" Hit me"

He looked at me, shaking his head and grinning. "Gunshot wounds to your left shoulder and right thigh. The bullet in your leg ricocheted around muscle, which was a pain to fix. The bullets were powerful, so it's going to take longer than usual for you at least, to heal. Four broken ribs. Bruised bones and muscles. Minor scrapes. And, you lost about 2 litres of blood. Let's just say that if you didn't have the Super Soldier Serum in you, you'd be long dead"

" How long do I have to stay in here?"

" Well, seeing as you're healing quickly, and if you stay in the Tower for us to check on you, and you don't go on any missions for the next week, I'd say your free to go after we check on you, so that we can see if you're alright."

I relaxed, knowing that I wouldn't have to stay in here for too long.

" But" the doctor said. " No physical exercise, No Alcohol. We will get you to rest for the rest of the day and tomorrow. By the next day, you should be able to walk, but don't push your luck. Listen to your body. If you're in extreme pain of any sort, contact us immediately"

He looked at the board in his hand again " I'm just going to look over you. Clint has told me a little bit about your abilities, and I understand, with everything you've gone through, but it'll only be a small check up. If you attack me, I'll be forced to put you under"