Luke's Roadhouse

"Are you ready for some culture shock?"  I laugh when I see Greg's face as we walk in.  People are line dancing and the place is really busy, word must have gotten out that Jr. is home on leave.

"Bella!"  Kelly comes running up and squeals while she hugs me, then starts in on my brother. 

Kelly has been my closest friend since we moved back here my freshman year. 

I was handed a beer by Cody, then whisked away to the dancefloor.  Poor Greg must be in shock. I look up and half the women here are surrounding him but his eyes are on me. 

"Who's the new guy?" Krista asked with a devilish look on her face. 

"An associate of my fathers." Is all I say.

"You like him!"  Kelly swatted my arm.

"Kelly, seriously." I roll my eyes. 

"He's hot as hell! Look, his eyes are on you and have been since you walked in here. I'd take him to bed in a heartbeat.  Holy Shit, he's gorgeous." 

"Whatever." If she only knew.

I cut myself off at one beer.  Not only am I driving, but ever since London, I don't trust myself to drink much anymore. I don't need a repeat of that night.

"There's that sweet piece of ass!"  Darren came up to me and pressed his lips against mine while he dipped me back, then threw me over his shoulder and acted like he was walking out with me.  "Asshole! Put me down!"  I yelled.  "Hell no!" He said, and I laughed when he smacked my ass.

He stops and finally put me down, when he took Jr. into a bear hug.  He is Braden and Jr.'s closest friend.  Captain of of football team and all that. He's an attorney here in town now.

I looked at Greg, and his fists were balled up at his side's.  What the hell is his problem?  His eyes were narrowed in on me.  Wow, talk about making me uncomfortable, does he think he's my boyfriend or something?

Stephanie walked up to Jr., and it didn't take but 30 seconds for him to have his hands all over her.  Greg leaned in "You people are awfully affectionate." He whispered in my ear. 

"Stephanie and Jr. are an item, and have been for years.  Not sure why they're not married yet, since she could go with him to Germany.  Darren is a close friend, and, yeah, a little too affectionate I suppose.  He'd do that right in front of Braden."  I cleared my throat.  I have no desire to bring Braden's name up to this man. 

"Kelly and Krista are my friends, and Kelly has been dating Darren for years.  They're on and off, and right now, they're off.  Krista, well, Krista has no plans to settle down with one man.  She has the salon next door.  Darren is an attorney, and Kelly is a nurse in Louisville.  She's just here for the weekend."  I fill him in, and he nods in understanding.

"So, where's my competition?" He looks at me with a sly grin. 

"There's nothing to compete for, and he's with his parents." That's all he needs to know. 

I was again tossed like a rag doll, when Cody once again takes me to the dancefloor.  He's the only guy out of all my friends who will actually dance. 

I danced for a minute, then when he was distracted, ran up to Kelly.  "Cody is off the leash tonight, who's driving him home?" I asked everyone, and they all shook their heads. 

"Come on Darren, you live right by him." I urged him.

Cody comes walking up.  "I'm going home with you baby girl."  He put his arm around me.  "I got plans for you all week long."  He said, and I laughed.