Oh, Ollie

We sat outside Dad's house under the big oak. Greg sat next to me, and the guy is like a lost puppy. I'm starting to feel like Dad has planned out my future with this guy. Grandpa asks him tons of questions about New York, his business, and how he has enjoyed the quiet here on the ranch.

"There's a lot about this place I'm attracted to." He answers and looks at me. Of course I blush, I always blush.

Then leave it to my grandpa to bring up Braden. "Honey, I heard about the pneumonia Braden had, and I've spoken to Kathleen, are you okay?"

I can see the hurt in my aunt Blair's eyes.

"Just because they are making him a DNR, doesn't mean he's going to die and never wake up." I said.

"He's not coming back, dear. He has barely any brain function. Kathleen said he's suffering quite a bit with infections and bed sores, and the young man I know, wouldn't want to live that way."

"Dad, can you change the subject? We were having such a nice time, and this is obviously hurtful to Bella." Blair speaks up.

"Sorry honey, I just want to see you happy again." He leans over and pats my hand.

"Thanks Grandpa." Yeah, thanks for reminding me the love of my life is half dead.

"I don't think he could live with what he did anyways. Killing that family? No, I'd rather just die than live with that burden." My Uncle Jack says, and I couldn't even breathe.

"Excuse me." I got up and ran into the house.

"Really Jack? You're an asshole!" Blair yelled.

I couldn't catch my breath, and Dad came running after me. He just held me while I cried. He didn't say a word, he didn't need to, because there's no words to comfort me. Just Daddy's arms will do at the moment.

"Are you okay now?" He cupped my face and looked at me. "I wish I had magic words to fix everything baby girl, but I just don't have any. My brother is an asshole, and always has been."

"It's okay, he's right isn't he? Braden wouldn't ever be the same even if he woke up?" I looked at my dad for the answer.

"I'm afraid not, honey." He pulled me back into him, and I cried.

I heard the door slide open. "Hey, can I have a moment with my favorite niece?" I hear Blair's voice.

"Sure" Dad gives me one last squeeze and kisses my head before he walked away.

I spent the next half hour talking with my aunt, and then she brings out the boxes she brought. "These are all yours sweetie! I'll have the boys load them in your car."

"Blair! There's so many! It's not necessary."

"You're my girl, and I want to spoil you. Make me happy and wear them, okay? Plus, I think you'll need them real soon." She winks at me.

What?

"Come, your dad wants to talk to everyone. "

She takes me by the hand and leads me back out, where my dad announces he's going to run for governor.

This means trips to Frankfort, events, and everything else. Great...Not!

Everyone wished him luck, including me, but life is about to get real busy.

Everyone started leaving, and the guys carried Blair's boxes to my car. My brothers spoil me, and that's no joke.

Dad's three collies came running up. "Dad, where's Oliver?" I asked.