Back on the Farm

Greg took his mom to the hospital, and Nathan took me home.

He didn't say much on the way home, and after taking our bags in, he went straight out to the barn to take care of the horses. I plopped down on the couch with the kitten from Dad's barn. She's made a great house cat, and I kept the name Allie.

She loves to jump up on my belly, and when the baby kicks, she acts like she's trying to catch whatever just kicked her, it's pretty funny actually.

I was fast asleep by the time Nathan came in from the barn. When I woke the next morning, I was alone. I know what is happening with him, it's no great mystery.

He's distancing himself to say goodbye. Not to me officially by ending our friendship, but saying goodbye to the intimate aspect of what we have shared for months. This is our new normal now, and there's no need for a discussion or especially an arguement, there's nothing to argue about.

It has been weeks, and there's no word from Greg. I should have expected as much from him, and I will never again get my hopes up for the man that gave me this precious angel I'm carrying.

Not a word, not even a tiny peep came from the Masterson or Powell families. None of this matters today, as today is the day my brother marries one of my very best friends.

Kelly and Krista look absolutely breathtaking in their beautiful gowns. Thankfully, since I'm the maid of honor, my dress is different, in a huge way. I'm 38 weeks pregnant and as big as a house.

Nathan had gone back to California a month ago,and he is actually in the midst of releasing a blockbuster, so no matter how our relationship went, it would have been impossible for him to be with me today. He will be back in a few weeks for the birth.

Krista and Kelly both walked down the aisle before me. I was to walk down with my twin Jackson, since he is the best man.

Jr. looked at me as I made my way down the aisle, and I saw a tear in his eye. He mouthed "I love you, little sis." Which of course started my tears.

I kept my eyes on him to capture the moment in my memory of the first glance he laid on his beautiful bride. Tears started pouring from his eyes, and the love was so evident. I cried like a baby watching my big brother as all his dreams came true.

Two words completes his ultimate accomplishment. "I do."

My best friend, my brother, has a life that is complete. The love of his life is now his wife, and I couldn't be happier.

The church doors opened, and I almost fell to my knees when I saw the one and only Greg Masterson run in late and take a seat. My heart pounded which must have stirred up my baby, because I felt like it kicked all the air out of my lungs. I tried to stand up straight to give it more room, but my stomach started to flip.

Here I was standing in front of the entire town, plus half of Fort Knox, and I'm about to vomit.

I could feel myself start to sway, when thankfully, I saw my brother kiss his bride. Everyone cheered as they walked hand in hand back down the aisle.

"Izzy? Do you need help?" I heard Kelly say as she put her hands around me. I nodded yes, she helped me to a pew where, hopefully, not many noticed.

Everything around me spun out of control, and I couldn't catch my breath. Finally, after about ten minutes, things seemed to calm. The priest gave me some crackers and some juice, and I was well enough to stand.

I had gotten so busy with the wedding, I forgot to eat, which is out of the norm. It only proved how dependant I had become on Nathan's nurturing.

Seeing Greg didn't help, what right does he have to come to this wedding? It's been months, and he knew about the baby.