~16~

"Daddy, could you tell me about mates?" Midnight blinks up at me with curiousity as I choke on the water I was gulping desperately after the play session he and I had. My father never told me about soulmates and I never really figured out how to explain the whole soulmate and Moon Goddess thing, considering I taught myself from the very books I was reading last week when Veronica decided to pay an unwanted visit.

Night and I had tried our best to make Mel and Luke jealous with our games, but unfortunately they were entirely captured by each other, they hardly even noticed our raucous laughter as we pretended the floor was lava and we had to use our super powers to prevent our oven-like doom. It was great fun though, despite our miniature failure.

"Well, Night, that's a conversation I wasn't really expecting to have so soon. You are almost five, you still have years before you have to worry about all that." I sigh, looking up at the clear sky. Yesterday was cloudy and I so desperately wanted it to rain so as to treat my beloved Blaze with a day in bed encased in each other's scents as she reads to me. She loves reading most on rainy days and I love her voice and the feel of her silky raven locks slipping through my fingers as I absent-mindedly stare at the beauty that is my mate.

"Mommy told me that she couldn't explain to me because she wanted Daddy to be with us when she did and I figured now would be nice to figure it out. I already have an idea, looking at you and Mommy all day makes the basic definition kind of obvious." I blink at my son as he plucks the grass and gently places them over roaming insects, almost like a shelter.

"Mommy said she wanted to explain it when I was around? So that means she knew she would see me again." I conclude. Midnight shrugs, picking the crumbs from his crossed legs and lightly sprinkles it around the shelters he built, patiently scrutinizing the way the ants work to gather the discarded food to take back home.

"Mommy once told me that she missed you and that she would want to see you one day when we're a little older, but she never spoke of it again. I figured that meant we would see you for sure some day." I glance back up at the sky, wisps of clouds barely obscuring the great blue atmosphere.

"Mommy and I are mates." I start after a few minutes engulfed in shared silence. Midnight blinks up at me, finally losing interest in the ants that have now retreated back into their nests.
"Mates are equals. They complete each other. Usually, it's someone who you'd never expect or it's completely obvious. Without them, you'll always feel a tiny bit hollow inside, like a piece of yourself is missing. When you find them, everything makes sense and you feel whole. Soon, you won't be able to live without each other. See, mates tend to become so strongly connected that leaving one another could cause death. It's a miracle how Mommy and I survived. I guess I have you to thank for that, since she always had a piece of me with her, so she never fully left me behind. Most mates fall in love instantly and start their life together."

"Most? So some don't?" Midnight looks perplexed, as though it's impossible not to love someone who was made especially for you. I shrug and ruffle his hair with a knowing smile.

"Mommy hated me." I stated with a slight smirk, remembering the way she used to resist the pull, but the moment I kissed her she wanted to give in. Night's eyes widen with surprise. It must sound absurd if you look at us now. We can barely go an hour without each other.
"Mommy thought I would never love her." I look down at my outstretched legs as the sadness I usually supress at the thought of her ever thinking I don't love her obscures my thoughts.

"Why would she think that, Daddy? You always kiss her and hold her and make her smile and laugh. She knows you love her." I smile at Night and chuckle at the confusion still covering his features.

"I kind of did something very bad, Night. I hurt Mommy. I made her heart hurt. I... Spent time with another woman before I met Mommy and I..."

"Daddy did the no-no deed with someone that wasn't Mommy?" Night gasps, shock disguising the confusion. What has Blaze been teaching him? The no-no deed? I stiffle a grin as this is a serious discussion.