Chapter 13

"No one can tell me what you are to me!"

- Elizabeth Gaskell, North & South

-

The dinner felt like a long year for Namjoon.

Lord Yang kept cross examining his two nephews, the jovial and friendly Alpha Jae-beom and the quiet, careful with words Alpha Seokjin.

Namjoon did find it odd that Alpha Seokjin barely interacted with Eugene. He wondered a bit on why, but he became distracted by Alpha Jae-beom's kind nature.

Alpha Jae-beom would ask him on what he was doing in Gongyeo and they found much in common in their music taste. Namjoon who at first felt nervous and upset of the situation began to grow at ease.

Once they were all done with their meals, Lord Yang had them be entertained in their common area.

Alpha Jae-beom went to the piano immediately and asked Namjoon to sit next to him.

Suho did not miss the way Alpha Seokjin practically glowered at the sight of his cousin physically so close to Namjoon who was merrily selecting sheet music.

Lord Yang was busy speaking to Suho's godparents but soon enough yelled, "Pick some damn music you funny looking omega!"

Namjoon felt shamefaced, but Alpha Jae-beom leaned closer into him to comfort him.

"Don't worry of my old uncle," Alpha Jae-beom kindly smiled as he began to play a simple tune on the piano, "His interests and attentions in life are very few."

"Is this a common theme in the family then?" Namjoon smartly replied, but soon regretted it, realizing this sort of teasing was too new for someone he had just met for a few hours. 

"Ah, is this referring to my cousin? Alpha Seokjin?"

"I will not answer that... "

"With that type of answer, you have answered me. Cousin, come here!" Alpha Jae-beom shouted at the other who was leaning against the wall staring in their direction intently, he walked over hesitantly.

"This omega has presumptions about you? What did you do this time?" 

Alpha Seokjin looked taken aback for a moment, "I am familiar with Namjoon from my time in the country... I met him at a town hall event."

"My this is interesting! I know you have two left feet, but please tell me you danced with this pretty omega," Alpha Jae-beom winked at Namjoon.

"He won't be able to answer that rightly," said Namjoon playfully, his feelings once again catching up on him of the very night he had met Alpha Seokjin, "He found no one of interest that first night to dance with. And he found me most unpleasant to look at and therefore not to his standards to bother with."

"My god Seokjin!" laughed Alpha Jae-beom, "Sounds about right. He's been prickly of late, I swear. I am younger than him Namjoon, but I have to apologize on his behalf!"

"You have no need to apologize for me, Namjoon has the habit of speaking for others," interrupted Alpha Seokjin, his neck looking strained in irritation, "I simply do not like such events and prefer little interaction with the public as possible."

"So little that you revert to belittlement of others?" replied Namjoon.

Alpha Jae-beom snickered, "My god it's been a while since I've had a good laugh at Seokjin, I can see he is embarrassed which is a rarity these days, so good job Namjoon!...but don't get me wrong, Seokjin wasn't always like this. He was such a loud and ridiculous child, with the silliest of jokes that would make you groan. Always begging for attention too. How things have turned-"