6. There for each other

"YOU JERK." Someone yelled grabbing the attention of everyone. "Don't you have eyes." She snapped, adjusting her mini skirt.

The corridor filled with hushed whisper of students. Some felt sorry for the fresher boy while the rest were just making fun of him.

"I am sorry." Despite having no fault, the boy apologized and bent down to pick his book but she deliberately stepped on it. "You crazy bastard bent down on your-" Her words were left incomplete because of Nandini.

"Soha." Nandini sighed."Stop creating a scene."

"Nandini." Soha rolled her eyes at her. "What a surprise? I wasn't hoping to see you."

"I hope you liked the surprise." Nandini said, bending a bit she picked up one of the boy's book and handed it to her. The boy adjusted his spectacle and mumbled a thank you.

"Obviously I didn't like the surprise." Soha said.

"Whatever." Nandini turned around to leave but stopped after hearing Soha. "I heard your father is having an extramarital affair. Wasn't the second marriage enough that he even started having affair."

Nandini fisted her fist and closed her eyes shut, trying to calm herself down. "Isn't it true?" Soha added.

"I heard it too."

"Like father, like daughter." Nandini could hear the catcalls of the students.

Manik snapped a look at the girl who said those words and that was enough for the girl to run away from the scene. "I don't pick on girls but everything has a limit. You are my next target." Manik thought to himself as he fisted his hand, trying to calm his anger. He knew Nandini could handle Soha, so he had been holding back but nevertheless he was always there to protect her.

Only by seeing Soha, Abhi had lost his calmness and these words were more than enough to make him mad. He fisted his hand and clenched his jaws. Before he could explode, he left.

"I don't need to explain it to you. And by the way I heard your so called loyal boyfriend Rahul dumped you." Nandini said coldly and this was enough to make Soha mad.

"Stay in your limits."

"I am staying in my limits but if you cross yours I won't hold back." Nandini said and left with Manik following her

"Nandini wait." Manik held her hand to stop her.

"Manik I am fine." Nandini turned to look at him. "It's just a little head pain."

Manik took her to the staircase behind the music wing and made her sit on the stairs.
He too sat on the stairs behind her and slowly massaged her temple. Nandini caught his hand."Manik it's not needed."

"Just relax for a while and let me do it. At least I can be happy that I am of some use."
Manik said with a smile as he pressed her temple lightly. Nandini closed her eyes and leaned on him.

"I can't even hate my dad Manik

"I can't even hate my dad Manik. He divorced his first wife and took my custody for me. If dad wouldn't have divorced her-" Nandini said gloomily.

"Nandini ssshhh don't think about it right now."

"No Manik let me speak. I want to let it all go. My so called mum didn't even care if I was dead or alive. She was just concerned about herself. She gave me birth so that she could win the trust of dad. She wanted him to transfer all his property on her name." Nandini couldn't speak any further. She could feel a lump form on her throat but yet she continued with a heavy heart,"Don't I deserve love Manik?"

"Sshhh. I love you Nandini now and forever." Manik interrupted in between as he sat beside her.

Nandini leaned on his shoulder and continued. For some reason she wanted to let it all go today, even if it meant remembering the past."After he divorced that women, he actually changed. He came home drunk, one night stand became common for him. Then he married Neela aunty just for business. Though she treats me well but I know she doesn't like me so much. " Manik wrapped his arms around her shoulder and squeezed her shoulder a bit assuring her that he was there for her. "You know whenever I see Abhi it hurts, after all he is my half brother. It's not that I don't like him but it's just that it makes my heart heavier." Nandini took a sharp breath. "Now this extramarital affair. He just can't be a one women man. I tried staying strong. I tried ignoring this fact but this keeps bothering me Manik."

"Can you promise me something Manik?" Nandini lifted her head slightly and looked at him hopefully.

"Anything for you." His voice calm and soothing.

"Promise me you will never leave me. No matter whatever challenges comes in our way, no matter how much we fight, no matter how much tears we shed, no matter how much we hurt each other, we will find our way back to each other. Promise me." Nandini said.

"I promise no matter what happens, our forever will always stay the same." Manik squeezed her shoulders slightly, assuring her and she smiled a bit.

"Now my cutie pie stop being so sentimental. I feel like crying because of you." Manik acted as if wiping his tears.

"Sometimes it's hard to believe you are the bad boy who loves creating mischiefs." Nandini said with a small smile.

"But more than mischief, I love you." Saying this, Manik pecked her cheeks lightly. "There is still time before the next period starts. So want to go to the library with me."

"You serious?" Nandini got up from the stairs and looked at him.

"Of course and it's not a big deal. I too can study." Saying this, Manik held her hand and got up.

***
"I was so sure you were here." Mukti said, sipping her drink, as she saw her best friend Abhi playing basketball. He was sweating profusely, his breath ragging while he dribbled the ball aggressively.

"So I see someone is angry." Mukti said, placing the drink aside. She opened her jacket and putting her hands on her waist, said,"Let me join you. It would be a warm up for me too."

Dribbling the ball, Abhi looked at her."Get ready to lose."

"In your dreams boy." Mukti said as in a swift movement she managed to take the ball from Abhi and Abhi sighed, before he indulged in taking the ball from her.

The two best friends who loved playing basketball. They knew each other in and out. They would pull each other's leg, throw tantrums at each other but nevertheless would always be there for each other. Others criticized them, raised fingers at them but they cared less.

"And here goes one more score." Mukti shouted and jumped around Abhi while he made a grumpy face.

"I just let you win." Abhi said, inhaling a long sharp breath, all worn out with the playing.

"Just admit that you lost." Mukti wiped her face with his jacket.

"Hey hey that's my jacket." Abhi smacked her head and took the jacket from her. Mukti hated being hit at her head. She rubbed the back of her head, glaring at him. And that was it, he ran for his life while she ran after him.

***
Precap: Jealousy, possessiveness and arguments.

Hope you enjoyed reading and please do drop a comment and vote for the story.

Love ❤😘

Aaku