17. Memories

"Manik tell me na." Nandini insisted for the fifth time in a minute taking a bite of her chocolate. She was still on his lap, her legs wound around his waist and his hands securely holding her petite figure as if she was his precious possession.

Because your diary resembles the beginning of our love." Manik smiled looking at her.

Nandini sighed on getting the same answer as before. She wrapped her hands around his neck and locked her eyes with his. "Manik please tell me na." Her voice softened and Manik chuckled seeing her trying hard.

"I don't know." Manik said, smiling. He wasn't ready to spill the secret of her diary.

Nandini pouted irritatedly. "Manik tell me na." This time Nandini whined like a child, making Manik go all aw on her.

"I am your girlfriend and you are keeping secrets from me..." Nandini kept on rambling and Manik found her way too cute and tempting.

A moment later he held her cheek with both his hand and pecked her lips, making her startled.

"Manik-" He didn't let her complete as he pecked her lips once again.

"I will shut your mouth like this if you talk more." Manik said, pulling her closer.

"Wh-" Without letting her complete her words, Manik slammed his lips on hers. This time it wasn't just a peck but he kissed and chewed her lips hungrily.

She was surely taken aback but the very next moment she gave in. She kissed him back, encircling her arms around his neck and pulling him closer.

They broke the kiss, breathing heavily. He looked at her and pulled her in his warm embrace. She snuggled more into his chest and smiled.

But soon she remembered her diary. She raised her head a bit and said,"Manik tell me na please." Nandini made her cutest expression and Manik pulled his baby girls cheek.

"It's okay to be scared. It's okay to cry. It's completely..." As Manik continued with his lines, it took her memories back in time.

Eleven years back, when she was 10 years old, her mother tortured her and she could do nothing but cry. One evening she had been crying in the park.

"Hey." A boy's voice hit her ears and she scrambled few steps back, totally scared.

The boy looked at her thick tears. He took out a chocolate from his pocket and slowly took step towards her. "I won't bully you." He said and she looked at him with her teary eyes. The boy was of about 12 years and he smiled at her, forwarding her the chocolate.

"You won't?" She asked while hiccupping.

"I won't." He assured and handed her the chocolate. She sniffed as she took the chocolate. Soon she stopped crying and he sat beside her.

She opened the chocolate and before taking a bite of it, she forwarded it to him.
"No I don't want it. You should eat it." He said but she pouted,"I don't eat without sharing."

He smiled and took a bite of it then she did.
"What is your name?" She asked and he smiled,"Ma.." She couldn't remember his name.

"You can call me Mani if it's too hard for you." He said, seeing her confused expression.

"Okay Mani. I am Nandini."

He smiled slightly and after that they played for a while, laughing their hearts out. They didn't even realize when the evening arrived and it was time for them to go back home.

"I will see you tomorrow." She said and he smiled slightly.

"I won't be here anymore. My dad is remarrying and I have to go live with my dad." She didn't get half of what he said but the sadness in his voice didn't go unnoticed by her.

"It's okay to be scared. It's okay to cry. It's completely fine to break down. But never give up. My dad always says this line." Nandini said cutely as she stepped forward. "Don't be sad Mani. In future na I will find you anyhow and I will marry you."

He smiled, looking at her. "But you can't marry me, you don't love me."

"I love you Mani. I love you a lot." She said cutely as she hugged him. At that time they didn't know the depth of this word but still their hearts and fate got connected.

"I will miss you." She said with teary eyes. At least she knew he was leaving.

"Sshhh. Don't cry." He rubbed her back.

"Even though we may be far away. But this connection can't be broken." He said placing his hand on his heart. "My mum used to say this to me."

"Manik-" Nandini couldn't believe it. "Don't tell me you are Mani, the boy of my childhood."

Manik smiled and nodded his head. "So my little cry baby girl has grown up."

"I am not a cry girl anymore." Nandini said playfully punching his chest.

"So will you marry me now?" He asked and she hid her face in his chest, completely flustered even with the thought of it.

He repeated the question and he could feel her smiling. "I have to think about it." Nandini said, snuggling closer to him.

"You don't need to think so much."

"But I will." Nandini said and giggled.

The next day

"Mukti I am sorry." Abhi blocked her way but she simply pushed him aside and walked to her class. She hated ignoring him but what he did yesterday wasn't justifiable.

He couldn't just kiss her when he wanted, play with her when he wanted. He hadn't even confessed his love or is it that he never loved her?

"Mukti please just give your one hour. Okay half an hour would also do or even fifteen minutes." Abhi pleaded for the tenth time in an hour.

Mukti sighed and finally agreed. "Okay but after this don't expect anything from me."

Abhi smiled and held her hand before blind folding her and taking her to the basketball court.
"We spent hours in this court playing and teasing one another. We pulled each others leg and laughed. I miss those times Mukti." Abhi smiled remembering those times.

"But it was my fault I started taking you for granted I am sorry for that. You enlightened my mood and I didn't thank you. I am sorry for that. You waited for me for hours and I didn't turn up. I am sorry for that. And most of all I am sorry for realizing my feelings so late." He slowly opened her blindfold and she was dumbfounded to see the basketball court beautifully decorated with her favourite red roses.

"I love you Mukti." He said as he came down on his knees.

***
What would be her reaction? Any guesses.

And did you all like the chapter. Do drop your reviews.

Don't forget to vote.