Popularity break

~~S H A P E O F  M E~~
"Javonte is playing basketball in the gym without his shirt on!!!" A girl screamed as she passed by with other girls at my locker.

I was supposed to be having a bad day as Mami was overly pleased when she found out about me giving a speech. While I had expected her to go to school with me and ask my teacher why he decided to give me such a big task, she instead ruined my plans and kept talking about how I now had a chance showcase my brains to the world. Yeah it really didn't go well.

Normally, I never did anything other girls did, but this opportunity was too good to pass by. This was the only reason why I rushed along with them just to get a glimpse of my biggest crush playing basketball half-naked.

Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! Swish! The basketball went as it pounded on the floor under Javonte's sexy fingers and flew in through the net.

It was a rhythm that was known to be Javonte's trademark. Five thumps and a swish–which usually was a three-pointer. Thus earning him the nickname 'King Five' which everyone shortened to 'King' because no one ever had the time to say a name that long. Which is only two words by the way.

Another ball went through the hoop and I stood, staring at Javonte in awe as he turned around. I was sure I was almost drooling. His muscles flexed as he picked up the ball not too far away from me and I could see his washboard abs. They might had well been made from rock.

If only I could get a better view of his body, I would give everything I have. Or maybe not, but you get the gist.

This shouldn't be legal in my opinion. Javonte King should be arrested for being too sexy. His sexiness was painfully blinding.

As I strained to catch a better view of him, people shoved and pushed me at the entrance of the gym and I found myself fighting to keep my spot.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Sherrandah inside the gym with her posse—obviously, as they were always together—and I felt a tinge of jealousy ripple through me.

I envied the life they had. I envied the fact that they didn't have to try too hard to get all that they wanted. I envied their self confidence. I envied their beauty. I envied the fact that they were proud and content with the way they were. If only I could be that way. I just wasn't good enough.

My stomach was in a knot as I slowly made my way towards class. Seeing Sherrandah and her crew whose shoes I would kill to be in, had totally ruined my mood and I couldn't even say why.

Have you ever felt so inadequate by just looking at a person? So weak and secondhand? That was exactly how I felt.

Sherrandah didn't have to do anything to make me feel inferior. She just had to be Sherrandah.

Classes surprisingly sped by quickly and soon it was lunchtime. I was starving, but I couldn't summon the courage to go get some food. What actually held me back in plain words was the dreaded cafeteria-walk.

Our high school(CHS) had many students–over 2000–and so we had a ginormous cafeteria that although impossibly big, was never enough. I hated the cafeteria because the food was at the end and if you wanted to buy anything you had to go straight through tables and chairs which meant doing so with peoples' eyes on your every move.

It made me feel the highest level uncomfortable, but it was nothing compared to the trauma you went through when you wanted a table. This was exactly why I never sat in the cafeteria.

While everyone else scrambled for tables, the elites however had their own thrones. You could never sit near them except if you were popular for something. Seating right at their table was a strict no no for peasants like me and was considered the biggest sin of all.

As I watched them, I wondered if Sherrandah still remembered my name. I was sure she didn't. How could she remember the name of a nobody? I wouldn't remember me if I were her. I wasn't someone worth remembering.

Contemplating whether to get food or not stopped being an option when my tummy started rumbling like a thunderstorm. I found myself riding my Leggedes Benz to the threshold of wonderful things which included chips, cookies and stuff I didn't need to mention as they were unaffordable. And I walked right through the cafeteria.

Food makes anyone braver, stronger and stupid too.

A few steps away from the Elites' tables, I heard someone call me softly. I turned around and Sherrandah waving at me. Was this a dream?

I walked slowly over to her, but still stood a good few inches from her. I wondered what she wanted. Did she want to embarrass me?

"Hey Sherra...I mean Sherry." I stuttered and then thought that I should write a book sometime soon on 'Ways to disgrace yourself  by Temitope Ogundayo'.

"'Sup Temi?" It felt like a miracle that she even remembered who I was. The way she pronounced my name made it seem more fashionable than it actually was.

"Guys this is Temi, Temi these are my girls, Yolanda and Zari." She pointed to a girl with her long, curly hair in a bun and another with low cut hair that was dyed to orange. They were both very beautiful.

"Ooh Babe. You got an ass right there. How'd you fit them sh*t in them jeans?" Zari spoke up immediately as she gave me a look and licked her lips. It was then I remembered that Zari had been rumoured to be bisexual many times in school. Her actions right now had just proven it. I had no problem with her being that, but the way she stared at me made me tense. And not in a good way.

"Hey." Yolanda nodded at me. She seemed the least excited to see me, almost angry even.

"So I'll be going now. Thanks for introducing me to your friends." I said then turned to go on my way.

"Sit with us." Sherrandah invited before I could take a step forward.

"Really?" My eyes widened in surprise.

"Yes of course. Don't you think so girls?" She turned to Yolanda and Zari.

"Of course." Only Zari responded enthusiastically, while Yolanda grunted and I was sure that wasn't a sign of approval.

"Okay..." I said slowly.  "Thank you so much."  I said as I sat and tried to eat my food like a respectable human being.

Was it just me or was the chair at their table more softer and warmer? Even the tables were sprayed with purple and then covered with many other random colours like they were splashed on in a hurry. It gave them–the chairs, an artistic look.

A few heads turned to look at me as I ate while others murmured a few feet away from me. I was most certain I would make the headlines of CHS' instagram news page as 'An ugly ass hoe who breaks the rule of popularity'.

The cafeteria suddenly went silent and most heads turned towards me as I was about asking Sherrandah if I could leave. As a result, I too found myself checking out what had caught all their attention.

I noticed a tall, lanky figure walking hurriedly towards our table. The build of the person looked unmistakably like that of Malik's and I tried to confirm my guess by squinting my eyes.

A strong but sweet smell of cologne wafted through the air as he breezed past Sherrandah, Zari and Yolanda right up to my seat.

With a crooked smile on his face, he leaned down and placed both of his hands on the arms of my chair. I felt my breath hitch in my throat as he inclined his head to an angle that we could share a kiss if either of us moved an inch.

"Hey Tope."

Thanks for reading loves. Please don't forget to vote and comment. Tag people you think would love this book. Let's get Shape of Me out there💛💛