Prom?

~~S H A P E O F M E~~
Mami was getting tired and I couldn't be more happier. Taking me to school by herself every morning and sometimes in the afternoon was wearing her out. As for me I couldn't care less, except for the fact that I was missing opportunities to spend quality time with my man.

Letting Mami drop me off at school meant I didn't have to catch the bus(no invasions of my personal space) and I got to school way earlier meaning I could still catch Malik before classes started. Sweet. The only downside was me having to wake up almost twice as early.

"Tope are you done? Let's go so I don't be late for work." Mami said from her room. I would had grumbled about how I was the one suffering most, but I knew to keep my mouth shut. Mami and I hadn't exactly been on good terms since I disobeyed her. She wasn't angry with me, but our relationship had somehow grew further apart. I was sure that every time she looked at me, she couldn't help but wonder if I was still a virgin.

"I'm going down stairs." I headed down and soon she joined me in the dining room.

"Dropping you at school is such a bother." she muttered as she did the clasp of her wristwatch and I wondered why she was telling me this. It wasn't like I asked her to anyways. These days, her shifts were mostly in the early mornings which meant she was more than 99.9 percent of the time grumpy and had poor me to take out her anger on.'

I wish I had someone to take out my anger on too.

"Let's go now." I said, and quickly headed outside before I took my anger out on the wrong person and had my head cut off by Mami.

Arriving at school, the first person I sought out for was Malik but he was nowhere to be found. I squinted in the direction of our spot which was near the stairway where we always hung out. But he wasn't there either. No one could miss an almost six-foot human loitering around anywhere. Someone like me, they could, but not him.

I had checked every corner of the school–including the cafeteria–by the time the bell rang signifying the beginning of lessons. I had English first, but I wasn't in the mood to go to class. I wanted to see him badly, and I felt sort of empty that he wasn't by my side.

"Where are you?" I muttered, examining the hallways for him a last time. I wondered if he was sick or if he'd gotten into an accident or maybe in trouble with the principal or if he was ignoring me or worst of all, if he was even still alive. Different reasons accompanying horrible thoughts trundled through my head and I felt myself being knocked off my feet by their hard blows.

I wheezed and stumbled over my feet, almost falling to the ground. I couldn't understand what was wrong with me. Pulling myself together didn't mean I felt any better. I instead felt worse. It was almost like I couldn't breathe.

Feeling choked up, I beat a closed fist on my palpitating heart while hoping I wasn't having an anxiety attack. It had been long since it had last happened and I didn't want it back again.

Shouldering my backpack, I took in deep, heavy breaths trying to steady myself while thinking happy thoughts. The floor in front of me, blurred and I realised I was crying. What is wrong with you? I scolded myself as I couldn't understand why I was being so emotional. I leaned against the wall, trying to catch my breath.

"Everything's okay. Just breathe." I whispered to myself or maybe someone else did as I felt myself calming down.

"Everything's okay. Just breathe." I heard it again, and this time I knew it wasn't me. I hadn't said anything. I slowly lifted my head, and peering down at me was Javonte King. It was at that moment that I noticed that his hands had been my shoulders in a comforting manner. "Are you okay?" he asked and I wanted to say yes to honour the status quo of answers to his question, but I just couldn't. I felt everything but okay.