A 'blank'

~~S H A P E  O F M E~~
Ping!
Ping!
Ping!

The first message alerts from my new phone raced through making me grin like a senseless mogul. My heart was thrumming with an indescribable thrill of some sort. In fact, the joy in my heart would theoretically be more than enough to last me for a few years. No one could bring me down. Meanwhile, across the table Mami stood, eyeing me warily. I could tell she was trying hard to read my emotions.

"I'm just happy that I have a new phone Mami. It's not that serious." I said and she looked away.

"That's what they always say, until boys will be disturbing them at night with text messages and call. Let me see that happen in this house. I will break that phone with hammer in your presence."

I sighed softly, knowing I already expected this reaction from her. Nothing she said to me could ever be a surprise. And although I didn't want her to destroy my gorgeous new phone, it was still more of her loss. After all, she bought the phone with her own money.

Looking on the bright side, I had a phone and not just any phone an IPhone 6+ which although was small compared to what most students used in school, was still way better compared to my old iPhone 4 that lagged every single time. Wow! I sounded so ungrateful.

"I'm only giving you the phone with service and data connection because I know you need it. Especially as you are always going on these stupid field trips."

"Mami you were the one who said I should go to the field trip not me. So technically it's not my fault." I analysed as I pushed a blanket into my bag and quickly zipped it up before it unfolded and plopped right out.

"No it's not fault, it's your fifth." She said sarcastically. But it actually was her fault. The camping trip allowed grade 11s and 12s to go, but it was only compulsory for grade 12s. Mami didn't seem to get that part as she insisted that I go with them. Funny enough, more grade 11s were going than grade 12s and it was because most grade 12s had gone while they were in grade 11 like we were now.

Although I was complaining, I was actually a bit excited about the trip as after camping the first night, we were scheduled to visit the Canadian War Museum before we returned back to Mississauga. Now that was making history. Or visiting it rather.

"It's just for a day and a half Mami. Don't worry I'll be back before you miss me."

"Just go." She shooed me as I headed for the door then stopped me before I went too far; "I hope you have your cream with you."

"Yes Mami." I replied pulling my fairly large bag with me.

"How about your brush and sponge and your towels?"

"All in my bag Mami."

"What about the torchlight I told you to put in your bag? Shey you put it?"

"Yes everything is inside the bag. Don't worry."

"Take care of yourself o." She said before I disappeared down the porch.

"Yes Ma. Bye. I love you." I yelled and I could hear her from the spot she stood at the door.

"I love you too."
*
It was evening by the time the bus' engine putted to a stop and everyone in the first half of the bus got off. According to the teacher, this was our last stop before we got to Ottawa and I couldn't be more relieved than I was. I turned around to see everyone more active than they had been in the last four hours.