Chapter 22

Ashleaf and Pineneedle embarked on their hunting trip almost instantaneously, and not because Ashleaf was bursting with enthusiasm. In actuality, foreboding churned in a turbulent storm around her. The pair trotted along in dead silence, the lagging greenleaf humidity heavy in the atmosphere. On the other paw, the first few shriveled leaves of leaf-fall crackled beneath their pads, creating an unbearable awkwardness.

The Great Clearing came and went. Ashleaf followed her mother's lead, eyes wide and alert, striving to imitate a cat of at least mediocre hunting ability.

I just hope she hasn't noticed the...seven rabbits...we've overlooked, Ashleaf gulped to herself, drowning in the discomfort.

Pineneedle seemed to be indifferent to her environment. Her eyes never averted from a fixed point directly in front of her, and her old, scarred limbs never relented at a steady pace. It was as if Pineneedle were being led by some providential source, perhaps StarClan, as if she'd been supplied with strength and stamina and determination.

She was hardly even blinking.

Even Ashleaf was having trouble keeping up. She tried to mask her huffing under her breath, but her pelt burned with exhaustion under her fur. Still, she avoided her mother's gaze and silently trailed behind her.

Various birds twittered around them. Pineneedle ceased her trek for nothing. A steamy breeze whisked over the plains, ruffling their fur. A plump mouse even skittered across their path, only a fox-length away from them. The old tabby's eyes flicked over it for a moment, and then snapped back forwards to continue walking.

Ashleaf nearly yowled with bewilderment. I thought this was a hunting trip?!

However, she remained mute still. Pineneedle appeared to have her own motives besides mere hunting, and while their compromise had been just that, Ashleaf was secretly pleased that she was being spared the struggle. Let Pineneedle act as she chose, as long as Ashleaf didn't have to hunt.

It was only when a sickeningly familiar odor washed over was Ashleaf compelled to speak up.

Whiskers twitching, she mewed warily, "Pineneedle, I think I smell-"

"Stale."

Pineneedle's rasp was curt and Ashleaf ducked her head in embarrassment. The acrid tang of coyote hung in the air, and it struck Ashleaf nearly as fresh as it had been the day of the attack. But what would Ashleaf know? She could scarcely even track a mouse properly.

Ashleaf was right on the edge of dismissing the thought when her mother halted in her tracks, her gaunt form going rigid. Had she smelled the fresh coyote?

"Rabbit," Pineneedle's nose twitched and her clouded eyes scanned the area. They were deep into StormClan territory. A cluster of young oak trees stood a few fox-lengths away, and a gray hare sat nibbling on a frond of grass growing through its roots.

Ashleaf, who had been so entranced with the coyote scent, had neglected to notice it. "Oh!" She gasped when she saw it, then caught herself. "Oh. Yes. Good spot. We must be upwind or something. I didn't smell it."

Pineneedle nonchalantly plopped down into a sitting position in a patch of grass. "I've been tracking it since halfway from the Great Clearing."

"...oh."

The tabby blinked at her daughter, squinting her pale green eyes. Her tail flicked towards the rabbit. "Well, what are you waiting for?" Pineneedle grunted.

Ashleaf shook her head. "I...what?"

Pineneedle rolled her eyes, letting out an exaggerated groan of displeasure. "Great StarClan, are you going to catch the rabbit or not? You're just going to sit there like a bump on a log?"