Chapter 3: We're Gonna Need a Montage

A/N: You know what's coming, deal with it.

BEGIN!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Third Person POV

After that night at the hotel, Sky took Y/N out into the woods to where his old little shack was located. (Think of it akin to Yang and Ruby's house). It wasn't very big, but it wasn't small either. The interior of the wooden house was bland, with almost no color, but it still housed all the bare necessities, like running water, plenty of food, a working TV (don't ask how),  a gas stove, beds, you get the idea. 

When Y/N walked in through the front door, his eyes were greeted with this bland yet cozy sight. Directly to his left was the kitchen, complete with a sink, stove, dishwasher, cabinets, and a countertop. 

Directly in front of the front door was a table, with two chairs, a candle, and a single plate accompanied by a set of utensils. He could see his reflection on the very heavily polished wood of the tabletop. While he was gazing at his reflection, he couldn't help but wonder why the candle was there, and why there were two chairs even though he lived alone. Y/N pushed those thoughts to the back of his mind for later. 'I will get what happened out of him, and help him like he helped me.' He thought that it seemed like the best option right now. 

Then, he glanced to his right to get a better picture of the new house in his head. There was a couch that faced the wall that had a TV mounted on it. To the right of the couch was a little table for a lamp and then a recliner chair next to that. 

"Make yourself at home kid. Upstairs is the bathroom, the master bedroom, and your bedroom, which is the farthest room on the right. I'll whip us up some dinner." Sky said with little emotion lacing his voice. When Y/N turned to him while he was saying that, he saw Sky staring at the unlit candle that had made the polished wood table its home. Sky's action only deepened Y/N's curiosity of what had happened. 'Later!' He yelled at himself. 

He turned around and proceeded towards the stairs, which were right behind the TV. Once he had ascended to the house's second story, his gaze stretched down a long, empty which only had three doors on either side of it. The left door was the master bedroom, and the right one was the bathroom. And just like Sky had said, there was an empty bedroom, which he logically assumed was just for him. When he walked in, his gaze landed on a comfy bed in the back left corner of the room. The bed was accompanied by a nightstand to its right and a closet farther to the right of the nightstand. To Y/N's left, he also took notice of a small desk with a wooden chair. 'This is great! I feel kinda bad that he had all this waiting for me.' 

"Y/N! Dinner's ready!" Sky yelled from downstairs in the kitchen. When Y/N's ears picked up the sound, he immediately dropped his stuff and rushed downstairs. As he did, his nose was assaulted by the various scents of chicken, broccoli, and spaghetti with meat sauce. It was a very pleasant assault, one which made Y/N's mouth water slightly. As he sat down at the chair nearest to the couch, Sky set down the two plates filled with life chow. (NEW AT A GROCERY STORE NEAR YOU). 

Y/N immediately began digging in. As his teeth sunk into the freshly cut chicken, his eyes widened as the chicken's juices were flowing down into his mouth and washing over his taste buds, creating a pleasureful sensation. (THIS IS NOT SEXUAL IN ANY WAY I PROMISE). As Y/N was happily chowing down on his food, Sky was just staring down at his food, not touching it at all. Y/N froze up for a second, staring at Sky while Sky stared down at his yet to be devoured food. 

"Sky, I know something happened, it's painfully obvious, so please, tell me what's bothering you." Y/N icebreaker drew Sky's attention, his head slowly rising from his food to Y/N's E/C eyes. After a short spell of silence, his eyes started watering, and a few small tears started to fall down onto his cheeks and be pulled down by the force of gravity. As Y/N observed the pitiful sight before him, he slightly gasped when Sky suddenly told him with a shaky voice,

"Alright kid, you got me." As Sky continued, his voice got shakier and shakier, and at the same time, the tears began to flow from eyes instead of slowly drip. "It all started a few years back. It was just a normal sunny day, nothing out of the ordinary. Professor Ozpin, the headmaster of Beacon Academy, had assigned my wife, Lily, and I to a mission. The mission consisted of infiltrating and destroying a White Fang base on the outskirts of Northern Vale. It was supposed to be a simple, in and out type mission, but life had other plans. One thing led to another...and then..." Sky has now completely broken down into tears. His breathing accelerated as he recalled that fateful day in his life. Sky, with a shaky sigh, regained his composure, continued on with his story. "One thing led to another, and then we were surrounded. Ozpin had underestimated the number of troops stationed there, but I don't blame him, that camp was small. We tried to make a break for it, but Lily was shot in the head, while I was able to clear the wall of the camp. It was only after many other huntsmen raided and destroyed the camp that I learned of her death." 

By now, Sky's breathing was back to normal, a little shaky but normal. His eyes were still filled with tears though. Once Y/N was sure Sky's story was finished, he slowly stood up and made his way over to Sky's chair. Sky took note of this and also stood up. Right after he did, Y/N embraced him in a heartfelt hug. 

"It's not your fault, there was nothing you could've done." Y/N whispered, which only made Sky break down further into tears.

"Thank you, you have no idea how much that means to me, son." Y/N gasped at Sky's sudden use of the 's' word. He looked into Sky's silver eyes. He was now smiling, and Y/N just smiled back. "Now come on, let's finish eating and head to bed, we got a big day ahead of us tomorrow!" Sky was now back to his cheery self after that little episode. You just looked at him in confusion. 

"Day: 1 of training starts tomorrow, you know what that means!" 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: CUE THE MONTAGE MUSIC

Y/N is seen sparring with Sky. His style was incredibly sloppy, with Sky constantly having to fix Y/N's form. They had started off with Y/N just punching and kicking just Sky either dodging or blocking the attacks. 

In the next cut, Y/N is seen shooting a small dust gun at a target 25ft away. His holding of the gun was sloppy, which caused Sky to come in and fix his form. The bullets that were fired from the small dust gun barely made contact with the target, mostly hitting trees and shrubbery on either side of the target. 

In the final cut, Y/N is seen jogging with Sky. Sky was a good distance ahead of Y/N, as Y/N was constantly stopping in a desperate attempt to regain his lost breath. 

Gradually, as the camera kept cutting between the three situations, Y/N is seen to be getting steadily better and better. His sparring between Sky has evolved into them both switching between attacking and defending with fists. Then they're seen sparring with wooden swords, and then with full on weapons, with Y/N wielding a perfectly functional replica of Sky's weapon. 

After Y/N is observed to be a pro at that, the camera cuts to Y/N's shooting range. His accuracy has gotten better and Sky no longer has to correct Y/N's form.  It fades to an older looking Y/N shooting a more advanced looking dust firearm, and now he's able to consistently hit the target, and almost always get bullseyes. When a much older Y/N turns to an older Sky, he just gives him a thumbs up. 

Finally, the running scene is presented to us once again. Y/N is seen going from constantly stopping, to being able to continuously run. The screen then fades to show an older Y/N keeping pace with Sky, and then being able to overtake Sky in their now running session. Sky stops his stopwatch and smiles. His son has made phenomenal progress. 

A/N: End song here

The montage ends with Y/N holding a letter from Beacon Academy. He opens it up and his face lights up. He happily calls Sky over to come and see. Sky peers over Y/N's shoulder while wiping his hands of water with a dish towel. His face also lights up. He congratulates his son and hugs him. The letter is then shown. With a "Dear Y/N," at the top, the letter states that Y/N has been accepted into Vale's prestigious academy known as Beacom Academy for Huntsmen and Huntresses. The letter ends with a "We'll see you there, Professor Ozpin, Headmaster of Beacom Academy".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading everyone! Next chapter is when Sky sees his son off to a new chapter in his life, I'll see ya there. Goodbye and don't die! ;)