Chapter 12: A New Ally

A/N: Thanks for all the support recently, and I'm really enjoying responding your guys' comments, you know who you are, so keep 'em comin'! Also, since there's such a large amount of time between chapters, sometimes it's hard to recapture my original vision for this story, so please call out any inconsistencies in the story, that'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch!
(P.S. I'm working a new Breath of the Wild fanfic, so please check that out!)
———————————————————————————
dark...
darker...
yet darker...
the darkness keeps growing...
the shadows cutting deeper...
photon readings negative...
this next experiment seems very...
very...
interesting...
what do you think, *****?
———————————————————————————
"Wooo-we! I am beat!" Yang slowly walked into her dorm, flanked by her team and yourself.

"Ozpin is a crazy old man! I can't believe that he actually thought that dropping us into a Grimm infested area in the Emerald Forest counts as a 'valuable learning experience'." Weiss' frustration was now clearly visible, such that it then took form in Ruby's form as well.

"Ozpin's such a-" she caught herself, took a few deep breaths, and then resumed, "Well, Ozpin has always had unconventional teaching methods, but it gets the job done right? I trust him. Think back to initiation." This caused Weiss to go into thought for a moment, and then frustration once again consumed her features.

"Initiation was nothing more than just a shit show!" She exclaimed, which caught Ruby off guard, but she stood her ground.

"But it got us to work together in the end and form our teams, right?" Ruby smirked, knowing she had just won the argument, but quickly suppressed it, knowing it would probably trigger worse things in Weiss if she were to see it once she was out of her state of thinking.

Weiss gave a short, defeated sigh before waving the French flag, signaling Ruby's victory. Once you were done observing the argument, you then realized that Blake has been silent this entire time. You looked to her bed and what your eyes layer upon was an absolutely breath taking sight. Blake's hair and eyes were gleaming in the pale moonlight that was pouring in from a window nearby. Her eyes were further enlightened by their supposed twinkling which added to her overall beauty. Her eyes were going back and forth between you and her bed, unsure of what to do.

Quickly realizing your mistake, you blush, and quickly look away with a quiet "Sorry" to accompany it. Unknown to you, Blake gives a slight smile before returning to her usual stoic and unfeeling expression.

"Blake, you haven't said a word, what's up with that?" Ruby innocently asked, which seemed to slightly annoy Blake.

"Well," she let out an exhausted sigh, "I didn't think there was much to comment on. It was just you two bickering as always so nothing new." Her unfeeling tone sort of cut into Ruby, that fact being made clear by her now saddened expression.

"Oh, sorry about that Blake." Weiss seemed a little angry at Blake, but seemed to brush it off as she entered the bathroom to get ready for the night. You caught a quick glance at Blake before you drifted off to sleep, her twinkling eyes attentively scanning a book for whatever information they could extract from it. And with that final image of her natural beauty, you eye lids finally gave way, and plunged you into a world of peaceful darkness.
—Time skip—
"Isn't it simply breath taking? The Vytal Festival is my favorite time of year! A time for the schools to come together and battle for glory!" She raised her arm triumphantly, much to the confusion of her teammates.

"Weiss, did you hit your head or something?" You asked with genuine concern in your voice. She seemed a little off out by this.

"Yeah Weiss, you've never smiled this much." This earned Yang a smirk from Weiss.

"What is there not to smile about? The organization and planning that must go into such a huge event is simply breathtaking!" That only served to increase the confusion, but you brushed it off as Blake asked a much more important question. "Why are we even here again?" She was clearly very tired.

"Well, there's a boat fully of students from Shade Academy arriving in a few minutes, and as a representative of Beacon I feel that it is my responsibility to welcome them," she said with a smirk.

"She just wants to spy on them to get an advantage in the tournament." Yang whispered loudly.

"You can't prove that!" Weiss exclaimed, faking offense.

As if on cue, you and your team overheard some commotion coming from the docks not too far away. Once you arrived at the edge of the sidewalk overlooking the docks, you were greeted with the sight of a blonde monkey Faunus hanging from a lamppost, enjoying a banana while a cop and a captain watched him from below.

"Hey, you!" The cop yelled at the Faunus.

"Me?"

"Yeah, you! Get down from here and pay! You nothing but a no good stowaway!" The Captain screeched.

"A bad stowaway would've been caught. I'm a great stowaway," he said with confidence. After gaining a large smirk, he dropped the banana peel, and took off, causing the two men to give chase and slip.

As the monkey boy ran past us on the sidewalk, he gave Blake a quick wink and he ran past, leaving her in slight shock.

"Well Weiss, you wanted to spy on the competition, there it goes," Yang commented.

"Quick! We must observe him!" Weiss declared as she and her team took off after the boy, with Blake in the back.

After about ten seconds of chase, we lose him after he rounds a corner, vanishing from sight. "Ah damnit, we lost him!" Weiss huffed in defeat.

But instead of you stopping yourself, feet to pavement style, you were halted prematurely by a huge metal object, which caused you and the metal object to fall onto the group. When you opened your eyes, the girl below you just smiled a waved. "Hi! I'm Penny!"
———————————————————————————
A/N: (There's a good meme somewhere in here, let me know if you find it!) That beginning bit was from Entry Number 17 from Toby Fox's Undertale, because I won't use something without crediting it. English class has taught me well. It's gonna have much different context then it's original usage in the game though, but that kinda goes without saying, right?