Còigeamh Bliadhna - Sgaradh

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Carina's heart stopped for a second as she watched Lily's face as it fell. Her breath caught in her throat and she could only watch on in horror from her position on the ground.

Lily had almost recoiled in shock, but after a split second of emotion crossing her face, it was now unreadable. Her eyes were cold and empty of any of the love for Snape that had been there before as one word dropped from her lips.

"Fine."

She turned to walk away before looking back at the boy. "I won't bother in the future. And I'd wash your pants if I were you, Snivellus."

"Apologise to Evans!" James roared at Snape. He had his wand out again, pointing it at the other boy with a merciless look in his eyes.

"I don't want you to make him apologise! You're as bad as he is!" Lily spat at James as she spun around to face him.

"What? I'd NEVER call you a you-know-what!"

Lily laughed coldly. "Messing up your hair because you think it looks cool to look like you've just got off your broomstick; showing off with that stupid Snitch; walking down the corridors and hexing anyone who annoys you just because you can - I'm honestly surprised your broomstick can get off the ground with that fat head on it. You make me SICK."

She turned back around and stormed off back to the castle - in the opposite direction to where Carina was sitting.
Carefully, Carina picked herself up.
Her leg was spiked with pain from the impact of her fall but it wasn't going to kill her.

James was calling after Lily as she ran off but she didn't look back at all.
He turned back to the others in the crowd himself and tried to play everything off as unimportant to him. It didn't work.

"Reading between the lines, I'd say she thinks you're a bit conceited, mate," Sirius snorted as he stood next to James.
"Right." James ran a hand through his hair and tried to mask the furious look on his face.
Another flash of light and Snape was hanging upside down about nine feet in the air again.

"Who wants to see me take off Snivelly's pants?"
Just as he was raising his wand, he was completely thrown off by a well aimed punch directly to the side of his face. He stumbled and almost dropped his wand, as he cupped his cheek and looked up at an extremely pissed off Carina.

Sirius looked sheepishly and waved to the crowd to go away. He watched as they did, leaving him open to a fierce slap from Carina.
"Be glad," she said to James, fists clenched. "That I didn't punch you on the other side of your face. You're probably going to want to get that cut seen to."

She turned to leave and run after Lily, but Sirius caught her wrist and pulled her back to.
"Come on, Curls, he didn't hurt her!"
The look in her eyes when he said her nickname was telling enough about how she felt about him right then. "Yes, but he hurt her best friend, who may be an arse, but he then acted like a prick, and showed no respect for her, and did basically the exact opposite of what I told him and what was getting him somewhere with her! AND FOR WHAT?" she yelled.

For a minute, she paused, and there was silence from the sheepish boys.
"Actually, doesn't even matter. I don't even need a reason. I bet you don't even have one. Just thought it would be fun, didn't you? You know, I thought you lot had changed so much since the beginning of the year and I thought that you guys were so much smarter and more mature and kinder. Turns out you are just a bunch of egocentric twats. And I expected better from you, Remus. I expected you to step in and stop these when you know something's not right. Not just ignore it. That's a cowardly thing to do. If you lot ever gain any sense, I expect you to apologise to Lily. You don't need to bother finding me at all."

Sirius's hand fell limply from her arm as she ran away. With her back to them, the boys couldn't see the tears welling up in Carina's eyes as she sprinted off to the castle.

When it came to dinner time, Carina was nowhere to be found by anyone. Sirius had tried all of the usual places she hid: the Ravenclaw dorms, the library, their broom cupboard, even the Room of Requirement. Nothing.

But Carina was sitting alone in the room. She had simply just told the room that she wanted a place that she could not be found in as she wiped all the tears from her eyes.

Light was fading through the big window and the room descended into darkness. But still, Carina simply lay on the cold wooden floor. Thinking.

                  ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧