An t-siathamh bliadhna - Co-là-breith le caraidean

11th December 1976

11th December 1976

         ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

After the excitement of Quidditch, November had fallen fast as tests, homework and the looming threat of N.E.W.Ts began to crush the sixth and seventh years spirits. Time seemed to be sprinting off without them, leaving most of the older students dazed, severely sleep deprived and confused about what day it was.

Carina was doing a bit better than most - a homework schedule, over-thinking and a need for perfection kept her on time with all assignments with due dates. She hadn't been too worried when it came to O.W.Ls last summer, as she knew that with proper revision and self belief she was guaranteed to do well, at least according to older Ravenclaws and her mother.

And she had - Os in every subject she had taken, which had been a grand total of ten out of the available twelve options, which was not uncommon amongst fellow Ravenclaws. Obviously she had dropped several subjects for N.E.W.Ts, but the exams were to be far more difficult.

But her friends kept her grounded and made sure that Carina didn't spend every waking second either in classes or revising - as well as most of the seconds she should've been spending sleeping.

She woke on her birthday after being dragged from the library at twenty minutes to midnight the night before by Sirius, who insisted on her getting enough sleep and walking her back to her dorm - that was until he was stopped in his tracks by Professors McGonagall and Flitwick.
"You're not supposed to be out at this time of night without a teacher," Minerva scolded them, looking sternly over her spectacles down at them.
"Flitwick shall walk Miss McGonagall back to the Ravenclaw common room and I shall see that Mr Black makes his way back to the Gryffindor ones. Good night."
It had been very awkward walking back, but Pandora greeted her, and seemingly with the same idea as Sirius, pulled her up to the dorms and tucked her into bed, where Carina went out like a light.

Her birthday was a Saturday. No classes. Nothing set to do.

It seemed like only minutes ago since her last birthday and yet also so long.

There was a sadness to that. Half of the girl friends that had woken her with great love and care this time last year, she barely spoke to at all any more. No one had woken her up excitedly this year. Her heart felt a little heavy as that hit her, but she pushed it aside.

Seventeen. It was strange. Legally, in the wizarding world, she was now an adult, and yet, she still had a year and a half of school left. Not that that was a bad thing. Carina had no idea what she wanted to do, or be once she left Hogwarts.

But now was not the time to worry about the future. It was time to enjoy the present. She pushed herself up off of her pillow to a sitting position. Carina glanced around the room. It was still early - most of the girls were still asleep, except Nola, who was nowhere to be seen. A pang hit Carina in the heart. Last year, she and Nola had been so close. It was bittersweet now, her birthday, just remembering the past five birthdays that Nola had woken her with a smile. She knew what had happened with the other girl now, but it didn't make things hurt any less when it came to trying to celebrate.

Shaking the thoughts off, Carina noticed Pandora was sitting up already, dressed in casual clothes on her bed. As Carina stated at her, Pandora met her eyes with a smile.
"Get dressed. We're having breakfast and going," she announced, as quietly as possible to Carina - as to not wake the others - with a widening grin.

The two girls walked out of the Ravenclaw common room with linked arms. Pandora had promised Carina that she would get her gift from her later, as they walked and talked, not that Carina minded. It would be nice to spend time with her friend. They rarely ever hung out properly, normally exchanging brief conversation in the dorms or at the dining table in the Great Hall.

While breakfast was quick, Carina observed a lot during it. Pandora's (now official) boyfriend, Xenophilius, was sitting with them as they ate, but Pandora confirmed he wouldn't be joining them on their mission for the day. He was a bit of an odd boy - calling him a boy felt strange as well, he was older than them and his eyes had a weirdly ancient quality to them - but Pandora was almost equally as unusual and they seemed happy together.

As Pandora pulled Carina up and out of the hall, Carina watched as Xenophilius joined his friend group - several seventh year boys, mainly Ravenclaw, all with ink stained fingers and manic eyes. Writers.
Behind them were Lily and Severus. Lily would probably drop off a gift later, or maybe not. She seemed to be slipping back into her routine with Snape once again. It was infuriating, but Carina knew better than to try to force her away by now. Hopefully Lily would come to her own realizations eventually.

And get Carina a birthday present.

It was a Saturday, so most of the students that could be seen walking around the courtyard were wearing Muggle clothes. A line was being formed by the gates, which Pandora pulled Carina into. Snow was falling thick and full around them, seemingly increasing by the minute.

"Oh it's a Hogsmeade weekend isn't it! I had completely forgotten!"
Pandora gave Carina a grin - Pandora had the best smile, dimples and her eyes scrunched up. It was perhaps only beaten by Sirius's rare, full, lopsided grins that made Carina so happy to see.
"I have a big plan for today and it's gonna be amazing -"

"Stop!" called a voice from behind them. Carina's mother was standing in her dark robes at the top of the courtyard. "The Hogsmeade trip this weekend had been cancelled. We're expecting a blizzard. Please return to your dorms."

Protests rose up all through the crowd but McGonagall sent everyone swiftly in their way.

"No, this is awful!" Pandora cried. "We were gonna see the new museum, with these brilliant artworks done by the best wizard painters and it has these potions exhibits too, and then we were gonna go to a new cafe I found in the outskirts of town that does mint hot chocolate just the way you like it - "

"It's ok, Dora," Carina said, hugging her miserable friend. "I appreciate all the work you put into this, and I love you. And we can do all this another time, when it's safe and we're allowed. Plus I'm sure we can find something else to do."

"Hello!" Came the voice Carina had been waiting to here all day. "We heard you were in need of some ways to make Carina's birthday amazing without being able to go to Hogsmeade."

"What exactly do you have in mind, Sirius?" Carina said, as he pulled her against him. His arms around her made her feel safe and she moved her head to kiss him on the cheek.

"Well, as we are brilliant," James jumped in. "We have lunch planned - a picnic in the "normal" room, if you understand me - " Carina received a wink from Sirius. "And until then, we may have acquired passes from our dearest Astronomy professor to allow you two to go and hang out in the new galaxy room."

"Thank you," Carina said, pulling back to face Sirius. "Thank you guys so much."

"Consider it part of your present, Curls," Sirius told her with a grin, holding her hands.
"Where's the rest of it then?" Carina said, raising an eyebrow.

"You'll get it later, love."
Another wink.

"Cheeky!" She yelled at him, planting another kiss on his cheek, before sprinting off up the Astronomy Tower with Pandora.

It was her best birthday yet. Carina knew it.

         ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

A/N not me reposting this on the actual day it was intended?? Wow, that's slightly iconic of me if I do say so myself.
Happy birthday to my favourite writing creation so far, Carina McGonagall, and I hope you guys liked the chapter for said birthday! X