An t-siathamh bliadhna - Geama an aghaidh Hufflepuff

27th November 1976

27th November 1976

         ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

The first Quidditch match of the year for the Ravenclaws had rolled around again. Gryffindor and Slytherin always had their match a few weeks before, and theirs had been a nerve wracking one, for even the spectators. The close call between the teams, with barely anyone scoring had led to a bear tie, with Gryffindor edging in one last goal to draw even at the last second. Typical of the Gryffindors.

It had been quite a brutal match. At one point, Carina swore that Severus was trying to hex James as the Gryffindor boy zoomed after the Quaffle, but something seemed to flicker near him and Snape lost focus on whatever it was he was doing. It had been a strange match, but she was glad for Sirius and James.

As always, the Eagles - as their house-mates had affectionately, and some not so affectionately, nicknamed them (which Carina hated) - would verse the Badgers.

Hufflepuff.

They were almost too nice. Made Carina sad to beat them. But not sad enough not to.

As the new and improved Ravenclaw team after months of training walked out onto the pitch to meet the Hufflepuffs, a swell of pride rose up in Carina's chest. This was the first year her cousin, Oliver, had made it onto the Hufflepuff team and she was proud of him.

Even through the light drizzle, Carina made a note of her team's players and possible options for passes - Penelope Linwit and Owen Rhoades were still her fellow Chasers, Daniel Thomas still Seeker and Luke Greengrass still one of Beaters. A new Beater and a new Keeper, both of which had played brilliantly in try outs and training, meant Ravenclaw was pretty confident.

Penelope cracked her neck, causing Carina to make a face as she took off, which Penny returned with a smile. She had taken over as captain after their former Keeper and captain graduated last year and if there was anyone Carina trusted with leadership and strategy, it was Linwit. Owen sent a smirk her way, as he kicked off the ground beside her, leaving just the captains on the ground with Madam Hooch. Good Godric, that woman never aged, but Carina quickly shook off her distractions as the balls were released into the air -

The Quaffle was instantly caught by Rhoades.

The game was on.

Once one team had the Quaffle, everything is a race - everyone ducking, diving, dodging - to reach the ball before anyone can get their hands on it. While Daniel circled over head, the Chasers were storming down the pitch.

Pass - dodge - pass - spin - under an opposing Beater - pass -

They reached the goal, Linwit with the Quaffle, it took less than a minute for the familiar voice of Denne, the same commentator as last year, to announce the point scored by Ravenclaw.

The rain was beginning to pick up, and the Ravenclaws all felt a small smug satisfaction - knowing all of their uniform and goggles had been made water repellent in a genius plan by Linwit - as the Hufflepuffs struggled to see as water blurred their vision and they slowly became drenched.

As the match dragged along, Ravenclaw scoring, Hufflepuff getting a few in and catching up, everything seemed like it was taking hours. People were leaving the upper layers of the stands that surrounded the pitch and some of the charms put on by the younger Ravenclaws were starting to give out, letting icy rain pierce their skin through their uniform.

A time out was called; allowing the older students help to re-apply the charm for anyone who needed it. With her goggles still repelling water, Carina could see, up in the top of the red and gold stand closest to her, stood Sirius, Remus, James and Peter. She nodded at the Mauraders, knowing it was a gesture large enough for them to be able to see. If they were closer or it was a less rainy day, she probably would have just raised an eyebrow, but there was no time for that as she flicked her long plait over her shoulder and kicked off the ground again.

Hufflepuff was in possession of the Quaffle. While it was normally easy to sneak and slide up to the Hufflepuff with the Quaffle and snatch it, the new Chaser - a third or fourth year whose name Carina didn't know - was proving to be a bit of a challenge to catch up to. She had to admit the kid was fast. She'd have to learn their name then.

A nod from Rhoades and a motion of his head told Carina all she needed to know. It was time to win this thing. Quickly, she accelerated in the opposite direction to this new Chaser up to the Hufflepuff goals. Hufflepuff only needed 2 more goals to draw even and if they got the Snitch, it was game over.

Just as planned, right at the last moment, the Ravenclaw keeper intercepted the ball - a dangerous manoeuvre, that had it not gone well, would have guaranteed Hufflepuff a goal. As the Chaser dived for the Keeper, he dropped the ball, which tumbled, down, down, down -

Into the waiting arms of Linwit, who zoomed off with no obstacles. Each pass was carefully co-ordinated. This was to be a path of least resistance. Sensing her shot, Carina turned sharply from her place by the goal to soar over Rhoades' head, catching to Quaffle in the process.

Before the Hufflepuff keeper could even think, the Quaffle was through the top hoop - the one that Carina had been keeping him away from by hovering low near the left one, leaving him no time to fly up and catch the Quaffle.

Just as the Quaffle was being sent off again, Carina spotted it - the Snitch. A golden fleck flitting around the right Hufflepuff hoop. And the Hufflepuff seeker was down by the Ravenclaw goals. By Merlin, was it Christmas already?

She whistled high, but not too loud, as planned to catch Daniel Thomas's attention, and he immediately turned to her and spotted it. As to not alert the other seeker, Thomas did not storm over to her, simply casually flying, not taking his eyes off of the Snitch though, even through the rain.

By the time he picked up speed and was inches away from it, it was far too late for Hufflepuff seemed - the Snitch was clutched in Daniel's hand before he was even on the right side of the pitch.

The game ended, signalling a victory in their first match for Ravenclaw.

The way this was shaping up meant it could be the best Quidditch season ever.

And by the cheers of her friends and house mates as she looked over to them as she left the pitch, they seemed to agree.

         ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧