Dance of Pales

One shot/AU

Summary : On a dark, storm ridden night when Trevor is lost in a forest from a lightning strike, he comes across a seemingly empty castle. Inside this structure lives someone kind, yet he conceals himself from the world for reasons unknown.

__________

It was a dark and stormy night, the rain was pouring hard as the cold wind blew it like bullets through the sky. Trevor slowly trudged through the mud and rain as he tried to find shelter, he was cold, hungry, and lost. He was riding his horse when lightning struck the high road he was on, causing him to tumble down into this dark misleading forest with many twists and turns, and places that were exactly identical, misleading the brunette.

Trevor put a hand above his eyes to stop water from getting in his eyes. He tried to see where he was going and if there was anywhere he could take shelter. There was a tall structure ahead of him, and he ran as fast as he could to get out of the freezing rain. Upon getting closer, there was a huge gate at the entrance. Trevor saw that it wasn't just a huge structure, but a tall castle which appeared to have many halls and rooms.

Sliding through the rusted gate, Trevor ran to the door and knocked frantically on the door knocker. There was no answer. Trevor took the door knob and twisted it, it wasn't locked, so he opened the door and peered inside. The castle was empty, dark, and the only light coming from a fireplace and a few candelabras.

Stepping inside, Trevor immediately felt the warmth of the fireplace. He rushed up to it and ruffled his damp hair, sure he may be soaked, but that wouldn't be a problem for long with how much heat the fire was providing. He honestly felt kind of bad for walking into someone's house without their knowledge, but if he stayed outside any longer he would be dead.

Trevor got a armchair from behind him and pulled it up to the fire. He leaned back and glanced around him, surely whoever lived here wouldn't throw him out it they found him sitting in front of their fireplace uninvited... right? He'll find that out whenever the time comes. Trevor grew drowsy as he shifted in the soft armchair. Blinking slowly a few times, he dosed off and quickly fell asleep in the armchair.

What seemed to be a two minutes must have been two hours. When Trevor woke up, it was still dark and raining outside. Shifting his position, the brunette found a thin blanket on top on him. Weird, he could have sworn he didn't have that when he first sat down. He stood up and stretched, whoever lived here must have done that. Since it was still raining, Trevor began walking deeper into the castle, trying to see if anyone was here.

The hallways had fancy rugs and velvet silk curtains, there were paintings hanging from the walls and vases standing on small tables. Walking down the long hallway, Trevor saw a painting of a man who looked about his age, there was no name or label, just a piece of artwork. He wore elegant black clothes with a white cravat, he had long, blonde hair and golden eyes, his skin was death pale and he had a neutral expression.

He was quite handsome in fact, for some reason Trevor noticed he had defined cheekbones. He continued to walk down the hallway silently, passing by rooms and many expensive looking things. It was when Trevor had stopped to look out the window again when he heard something.

It wasn't a voice nor footsteps, but instead the sound of a piano playing softly. It was coming from a room behind him with the door cracked open, Trevor slowly approached and opened the door without a sound to look inside.

(Play song)

There sitting at a grand piano, playing softly and calmly was the same man Trevor had seen in the painting. The man didn't notice the brunette in the doorway and continued playing. The blonde's long, delicate fingers glided and pressed the keys gently, playing a slow and soft melody that Trevor had never heard before. He played slow, lazily even.

When he got to what sounded like the end of the short melody, he paused for only a moment before he played it again but with both hands this time and with a bit more force on the keys so that they would be louder.

(Wait for repeat of the beginning of the song to end before you continue reading)

As the blonde continued playing, his fingers traveled down the keys of the grand piano, one playing very fast while the other played slow. His hands then traveled farther up, his right going all the way to the last high key. He played that exact part of the song again, but faster, and as he did, Trevor could faintly hear violins in the background, but could not see them.

(Wait for the part where the violins begin before you continue reading)

The blonde went with the tune of the violins, going up and down, down and up, until finally, getting to the last key, he dramatically let his hands dance across the piano until getting to the other side. From there, he went all the way back up again. He played the first melody again, but going much quicker as the violins did as well. The song was beginning to sound less like a lullaby and more like a waltz.

(Wait for the piano solo where the melody is high, then low, then high again to end before you continue reading)

The blonde paused again, for a bit longer this time, like he was waiting for something to come next. Flutes began playing alongside the violins, they couldn't be seen as well. The man at the piano let them continue before coming back into the song. More and more instruments were added, clarinets, French horns, and so much more, yet they all could not be seen anywhere. The chandelier from the ceiling suddenly lit up, making the room much brighter now.

The room the blonde was playing the grand piano in was actually a ballroom, but no one could tell because of how dark it was before. Suddenly, the man stood up from the piano, but when he removed his hands, the keys were still pressing and lifting up as if he had never left. The piano was playing itself. He still didn't see Trevor as he walked into the center of the ballroom, the waltz still playing.

Once in the center the blonde raised a hand in the air while he put the other behind his back. He walked to the beat of the song as figures appeared, each with unique faces and attire. He began dancing with them, switching partners, and moved to the music as if he were born to do nothing else, gliding across the floor with the other figures, his hair swaying behind him with each step and spin. It was mesmerizing to watch, and Trevor couldn't help but let his jaw drop in shock.

But soon, the figures began to disappear like ghosts as the song began to end, the blonde was soon the only one in the center of the ballroom again. The rest of the instruments stopped except for the piano that still played itself, but slowly. And when the last note was pressed onto one of the keys, it was over. The blonde's back was facing Trevor, he was still in a waltzing stance but then straightened himself. He sighed, taking in the silence that now surrounded him.

"If only..." He whispered to himself in sorrow.

Trevor felt as if he should say something, this man had to be aware that he was in his castle, uninvited but didn't throw him out anyways. Trevor bit his lip slightly, hesitating before speaking aloud so the blonde could hear him.

"That was beautiful."

The man tensed, he really had not been aware Trevor was watching the whole time. He whirled around for his eyes to lock with the brunette's, a bit shocked as if he was questioning weather he saw everything that had just happened. A blush dusted his cheeks in embarrassment, he pushed his shoulders back, took a few steps backwards, and whirled around again and began to run off away from Trevor.

"Wait! I didn't mean to intrude!" Trevor rushed after him, afraid he had startled the blonde.