Scales and Gills

Happy MerMay! (2020)

Short story/Mervania AU

Summary : Pretending to be mermaids in the pool when you were younger just got a WHOLE lot more interesting.

__________

It started as a dare that was supposed to intentionally not be done. But Trevor just HAD to know what the sea-grass did. Trevor found it while walking along the shore near their house one day, it was obviously not like regular seaweed, especially since in shined translucently in the moonlight. After some research and looking back through some old books left by his ancestors on magical agriculture, he found that the strange seaweed had the ability to grant people the abilities of oceanic creatures for the span of twenty-four hours when eaten.

Upon showing this to his friends, Sypha said as a joke, "Twenty bucks if you actually eat it."

And Trevor, being the bastard that he is responded with, "Thirty bucks each if you two eat it as well."

And that is what brings us to now, as Trevor, Sypha, and Alucard all sat in a small rowboat a good distance away from shore. They had no valuables with them, only themselves and the seaweed. "I swear if this actually kills us..." Alucard muttered as he held his piece between his thumb and index finger.

"It won't," Trevor assures. "...I think."

"On three," Sypha interrupts the small talk, wanting to go through with it.

So they did, on a count of three, they all reluctantly ate the seaweed which actually didn't taste that bad. It had the texture of bacon and tasted faintly of broccoli. Very faintly of broccoli. After a few seconds of chewing and hesitantly swallowing the seaweed, the three looked at one another, waiting for anything to happen.

"What if we end up like that scene from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, and one of us has a shark head or something?" Sypha suddenly thought aloud, making Alucard glance at her with newfound fear.

"We won't," Trevor says sternly behind just as nervous thoughts. "It'll be fine, the worst to happen is if... oh shit, the boat's spinning." Trevor cut himself off, eyes widening.

What he meant by spinning was that his vision swayed for a moment. He somewhat lost his balance in his seat and fidgeted for a second before looking up at his friends.

Sypha and Alucard were looking at him with concern when a realization hit the blonde. "Our clothes," he then immediately began to unbutton his shirt.

"What are you doing?" Sypha looked Alucard up and down in confusion.

"Unless you want your legs fusing with your pants, I suggest you remove them because this isn't H2O Just Add Water, our clothes aren't going to disappear." Alucard referenced the early 2000's show as he threw his now removed button-up and shoes into a pile in front of him.

Sypha hesitantly did the same after thinking about what would happen if she didn't. She started at her shoes, then socks, and when she was about to lift her shirt over her head, she stopped, looked at the two men in front of her (who weren't looking at her), then quickly turned around, removed the shirt and bra, ripped her shirt a bit before wrapping it around her chest and tucking it in place. When she turned back around, her chest was covered by what remained of the light blue shirt as it wrapped around her like bandages.

"I can always buy a new one," she mumbled and began to unbutton her pants.

Meanwhile, Trevor had removed everything but his pants. This felt incredibly awkward since, well, they were stripping in front of each other to avoid some grotesque imagery of flesh and fabric. Eventually, he removed them and he and Alucard were only in boxers while Sypha had her makeshift chest-wrap and underwear that resembled shorts.