Nobel Steed

Just a funny thought I had recently

Short story/within the show

Summary : When in doubt... steal a horse.

(Alternate summary : Alucard will strangle anyone who is okay with animal cruelty.)

__________

As the trio were sitting at a table just outside of a horse stable that also happened to be an inn as well, they had managed to salvage enough money for three rooms and decently cooked food. "Y'know what would be really useful?" Trevor glanced at a young man boarding his horse behind him. "What if we didn't have travel on foot or on an old wagon?" He then motioned to a wagon where hey was loaded into.

"What if we could actually afford horses?" The idea made Sypha somewhat laugh. "Only the rich own horses. Do you even know how to ride one?" She rested her head in her hand.

"Well," Trevor narrowed his eyes, "before my family was exiled, killed, and burned... we were rich enough to own a few."

Alucard quirked a brow at that, he straightened his posture a bit before joining the conversation. "I actually had one as well, though that horse frightened me as a kid because it had one leg that was all bone, no hide at all." Sypha huffed, rolling her eyes with a frown. "Well I didn't live fancy, high-class lives like you two... I had a mule."

"Please," Trevor slouched back in his chair at the term Sypha had used. "I was anything but high class as a child."

Just as they continued their conversation, Alucard saw someone else boarding their horse, but the animal strayed off path a bit. The rider then smacked their steed with a riding crop, jerking its attention to the road again. Alucard inwardly cringed at how people could just treat animals so cruelly for sport. The horse was obviously a show horse, it had the specific bridle on that covered its eyes so that it was only looking at what was in front of it.

"Honestly," the Dhampir shook his head, "the rich shouldn't even deserve to treat their horse so cruelly."

Trevor and Sypha both looked at him before looking at the horse Alucard was looking at. The man riding it stepped off swiftly, removed his jacket, and was about to walk up to someone when his horse shook its head like it was trying to take off its bridle. Alucard bit his lip as he knew what would most likely happen. The man smacked the animal in the nose and it stiffened up almost immediately. "I can see why my father wants people to go extinct."

He meant it as a joke, but Trevor gave him a questionable look for a moment. "Well, we only have enough money for rooms. And even if we only rented one room, we would only have a fraction of what a horse costs." Sypha leaned on the table to stretch. "It's not like we can just waltz in there and steal one." Alucard sighed.

"Wait, say that again." Trevor got an idea from the Dhampir's statement. "I have an idea."

Sypha and Alucard immediately knew where he was going with this and looked at the brunette like he was a mad man. "You're not actually thinking about..." Sypha trailer off as she saw Trevor smirk.

___

Later that night, the three didn't rent their rooms at that inn, they waited for everyone else to be asleep before speaking to one another in a whisper. "Okay, so I actually did this once with a friend when I was younger," Trevor began leaning forward on the table so Sypha and Alucard heard him more clearly.

"The stables have a hook on the door, it makes a fuck ton of noise if you don't remove it correctly. We have to be quick though, you have to take the horse by the reigns and lead it out, if not, they'll just thrash around because they won't recognize you as their rider. Each one is different though, some will walk right out with you while others are stubborn as hell." He explained simply before asking if anyone had questions.

"What if somebody goes to check on them?" Alucard motioned to the inn keeper, who had their head in their hands as they were sleeping on the counter. "Not likely," Sypha shook her head. "These people would rather sleep at the moment than check on anything." She pointed it how it was almost midnight.

"Alright, let's just hurry so we don't get caught." Trevor stood up suddenly before casually walked to the back of the stable.

Sypha and Alucard followed, glancing slightly at whom they passed by. Trevor opened the door without hesitation as if he worked at the inn before walking in with the dullest expression. "Alright, now pick your poison." He grinned as he turned to his comrades.

There were about ten horses, each in a verity of height, color, and looks. Alucard was walking down the stable when he saw the exact same horse he saw getting smacked by its rider. It was pure white, had a blonde mane, and looked very gentle. Its bridle wasn't on and the Dhampir could clearly see its face now. He looked at the animal for only a few moments before making up his mind and taking the hook off of its door.

Though it was dark, Sypha saw a horse that was a butterscotch color. She had never rode a horse in her life, and this horse looked like it had never let anyone ride them in its life. That could be arranged. At that moment, the sorceress decided that her and this animal would learn that together. She reached her hand to run it along its mane, and the horse began to lean into her touch. Cute, she thought before it by the reigns.

Trevor stopped mid step when a dark brown horse next to him began shaking its head frantically. Afraid it might attract attention, he calmed it by petting its neck slowly. When it had calmed down, the brunette saw it was trying to shake off its bridle. For some strange reason, it still had it on. The horse itself had a rough look to it, like it was never meant to be kept in a stable or be hit with a riding crop.

Cocking his head to the side, Trevor smiled faintly. He removed only the part of the bridle that covered the horses eyes, grabbed the reigns, and led it out. When all three walked out casually, each leading a horse, they all mounted and adjusted themselves. "I can't believe we actually just did that." Sypha took a shaky breath. "Well, at least we can get around faster now." Alucard smiled before lifting the reigns up and down softly as his horse began to walk slowly.

Trevor did the same, and just as Sypha was about to, she looked behind her to see a young man looked about fourteen. His eyes were blown wide in shock, he looked like he was about to tell someone what he had just saw before Sypha looked him dead in the eyes and spoke three words in a harsh tone.

"You saw nothing."

And with that, she rode off to follow Trevor and Alucard, leaving the boy still frozen in shock.