The Stray

Wholesome fluffiness

Short story/Modern AU

Summary : Walking through the city, Trevor finds a stray dog which is only a helpless puppy. Of course, he doesn't think twice before helping the poor thing.

__________

For Trevor, Romania was the most peaceful after a rainy morning. The concrete sidewalk was still wet but not enough for anyone to slip, there wasn't a lot of traffic since no one would ever go out in their car on a rainy Saturday, and days like this were perfect for sleeping in. Trevor wasn't sleeping in today though, he walked about the city with a hamburger in hand. A few cars passed by him every now and then, and he occasionally took a bite from his food but was mostly distracted by how quiet it was aside from the occasional beep of a car horn.

The brunette was passing by a building when he heard a faint bark. He barely heard it and it sounded more like a cry. The building in front of him wasn't an apartment complex or any place where dogs were allowed. Turning in the direction of the sound, Trevor saw it had come from the alleyway to his right. It was dark, messy, and surely a place where someone could get robbed, but he heard the faint cry again and knew he had to know where it was coming from.

Walking into the dark space between two buildings, Trevor saw a dumpster which looked to be the source of the bark. He knocked on it once and heard something whimper inside of it. Trevor put his hamburger in his mouth to hold it before using both hands to lift the lid of the dumpster. There was nothing inside at first glance, but bending over the ledge to get a better look, Trevor saw what was making the noise.

Inside the dumpster all by itself, curled up in the corner was a small, blonde puppy that didn't even look a year old. It was at least eight weeks old by the looks of it, and Trevor could tell it was a yellow lab. As soon as the dog saw the brunette though, it cried out like it was afraid of him. Trevor knew he had to get this dog out of here, there was no way in hell he was just going to leave it now. But the poor thing was too scared of him, how was he going to get its trust?

The dog then looked at the hamburger Trevor still had in his mouth, specifically at the meat. Of course, this dog must have been starving, God knows how long it's been here for. Trevor took the hamburger and held it out to the puppy, hoping it would take a piece. Slowly but surely, the dog did in fact move from its place to walk up to Trevor's hand. It took a small bite from the meat of the burger and stayed there as it ate. After that, it didn't go back to hide, it actually sniffed the brunette's hand.

Trevor smiled, pulling his food back to get the puppy to move closer to him. When it was within his reach, Trevor slowly and delicately picked up the dog as it didn't resist him at all. It's fur was cold and damp, it was probably freezing with how it had just rained. Taking off his brown jacket, Trevor wrapped the puppy in it to keep it warm. "Alright, just let me help you." Trevor said as he pet the yellow lab.

He began to walk back to his apartment, feeding the dog more of his hamburger as he did and prepared to explain this to Sypha and Alucard.

___

Sypha was on her laptop as Alucard flipped the page to a book he was reading when they heard the door open. In unison, they looked to see Trevor entertaining the room with something bundled up in his jacket. "Whatcha got the?" Sypha closed her laptop while Alucard put a bookmark in his book to close it. "A puppy." Trevor said bluntly as the little ball of blonde fur peeked up from his jacket hood. Alucard's eyes went wide while Sypha's jaw dropped.

"You adopted one..?" Alucard stood from his chair to approach the brunette. "No, I found one." Trevor chuckled softly.

After that, the three all went to give the dog a bath as it almost looked brown from the dirt and mud. While drying it, Trevor noticed how nervous it was, as if it had never been loved. He comforted it as he dried the ball of fur with Sypha's (basically Alucard's at this point) hairdryer. "What to name you..." Trevor now had the dog sitting in his lap as he pet it softly.

He'd never had a dog before, so he was pretty clueless when it came to naming them. The dog was a girl, so he had to think of something decent. "How about... Eza?" He looked at the puppy who had no reaction to the name, only nuzzling into his arms happily. "Yep," Trevor smiled.

"Definitely Eza..."

(Pronunciation: Ee-sa)