Like Father, Like Son...

Short story/Within the show

Summary : Alucard is always worrying his parents...

__________

1456

It had been a year since Lisa had banged on the front door of Dracula's castle and demand knowledge. Now she wasn't just an astonishingly good doctor, but a mother as well. As she walked down the hallway to where her husband was, she carried a small bundle of blankets with a small child inside that was only six months old. The child had her exact blonde hair, but his father's fangs. Lisa knew exactly what name she wanted to give her child even before she had him. The Dhampir's name was Adrian Fahrenheit Tepeś.

Vlad was reading quietly in the library when his wife had walked in. He noticed her carrying the child immediately, and smiled upon seeing them. "Good morning." The vampire kissed Lisa in the forehead as he spoke softly. "How is Adrian?" He glanced down to see the bright, golden locks of hair surrounding the sleeping child's face.

"He fell back asleep as soon as I picked him up." Lisa chuckled before she held up Adrian to Vlad. "Oh, no." Vlad waved a hand as he shook his head. "He cries every time I hold him, I don't think he wants to be in my arms right now."

"Nonsense," Lisa insisted, "he's your son, he just needs to get used to you, that's all." She then handed Adrian into Vlad's arms slowly.

The vampire was hesitant, he didn't want to make any sudden movements to startle the child, so he just stayed still. Adrian stirred, trying to get comfortable since he was in a different embrace now. Slowly, the young Dhampir's eyes opened, bright golden irises looking up before focusing on his father. Vlad was still tense, unsure if the child was going to remain silent or burst into tears.

Adrian stayed silent, much to Vlad and Lisa's surprise. "I think this is the longest I've ever held him." Vlad commented more to himself. Lisa smiled, as a proud mother should at moments like this. Vlad finally moved, adjusting his posture and the position of his hands to better hold Adrian. Him and Lisa sat down on a couch behind them, their son still looking up at both of them.

"He's so beautiful, because he looks just like his mother." Vlad saw Lisa blushing at the compliment. Adrian yawned, the kind of yawn of someone waking up. When his mouth became a gap, his fangs were rather sharp and very noticeable. "Yes, but he inherited quite a lot from his father too." Lisa poked Vlad's shoulder as the vampire chuckled softly. It was a quiet morning in the castle, only the sounds of a fire cracklings and footsteps could be heard during mornings like this. It was all very peaceful right now in this small moment.

Then Adrian sneezed...

It was a cute one and was expected of a child, but what happened next wasn't. He disappeared. There was only a bundle of blankets in Vlad's hands now. Both husband and wife looked at each other in shock, they were thinking the same thing. "What just happened..?" Lisa was getting more and more concerned as she still didn't see her child. "I... I don't know..." Vlad admitted as he was still holding only a bundled up blanket in his hands.

Lisa was about to go into a full on panic when she heard something, a high pitched squeak. Vlad must have heard it too as he looked at his wife with wide eyes before glancing down at the blanket again. The sound was coming from there. Slowly, him and Lisa both moved part of the blanket away and were very confused at what they found.

It was... a bat?

Not just any regular bat, it was a Honduran white bat. Lisa was confused until she saw it had bright golden eyes. "Vlad, I think Adrian inherited a little more from you than I first thought." The bat was in fact their son. Lisa looked over at Vlad in fear he was bewildered by this, but instead, she saw him smiling.

Overwhelming pride flooded the vampire as even though he didn't expect this, he was still happy. "I thought it would take him at least a year to realize he could do this." Vlad said bluntly, still holding Adrian in the blanket delicately. Lisa was about to ask further questions but decided to do so another time. For now, she just decided to enjoy seeing her husband this happy.

Until a sudden realization hit her...

"Vlad, how is he going to turn back? Surly he doesn't know how to do that on his own yet. All he did was sneeze and this happened." Vlad's smile broke as his eyes were wide again. He slowly turned to look at his wife, biting his lip slightly. "I don't know." He answered a little concerned.

And once again, the two were panicking.