The Flame of Romance

"(Y/N), are you sure this is safe?" Varian queried, raising his forearm to wipe beads of sweat off of his forehead, "I mean, this fire's getting pretty big, and you are sitting quite close." You furrowed your brow in concentration.

"Shhh, Varian! It needs to be perfect," you scolded, twisting the marshmallow stick between your gloved hands. Your eyes watched the embers spiral upwards, observing as they fizzled out into the air.

"And besides, why are you so worried? Do you care about me?" You teased, making a kissy face on the last sentence. Varian's face flushed, his nose wrinkled in question as he opened his mouth to response. But...

"Damn it!" You exclaimed, throwing your hands up in the air; letting go of the now burnt marshmallow and its stick into the fire. "Well, now I need to start all over again," you complained, fumbling around in your satchel besides you for more marshmallows and another stick. You brought out two, and offered one to Varian. He shook his head.

"Oh come on, you haven't even toasted one!" You moaned, holding the stick out more forcefully. Varian's eyes crossed as he looked down the sharp end now pointed in his face. He pushed it to the side.

"To be fair, neither have you (Y/N), they've all burnt," he stated, dusting off his apron of the soot that landed on it, "and besides, I don't like them. They're too sweet, and the texture is just weird." He creased his brow. "That fire is getting rather large, you know, are you sure you don't want to-"

"No, now hush. I need to get this perfect," you scolded, biting your lower lip. Your face burnt from the heat. As you glanced over to the side, you noticed that Varian had taken off his gloves and apron, leaving a rather tatty and chemical-stained shirt underneath. His eyes were glazed over; he was in deep thought. His lip was curled inwards, and his face was turned down towards his feet. His baby blue eyes sparkled as they mirrored the dancing flames, making a compound of passionate red and calming blue. They were mesmerising. (Y/N)'s face blushed, or maybe you were just burning up from the fire. You couldn't be sure. You'd like to think it to be the latter, however your crush on Varian smacked that theory in the face with a, WAKE UP, IDIOT! It had been years now that you had had a crush on the clumsy alchemist that lived next door, years that you had to refrain from grabbing his face and pressing your lips on his. Years and years and years and years and ye-

"LOOK OUT!" Varian yelled, diving into (Y/N) and pushing you backwards away from the fire, which engulfed the log you were sat on. Your breath caught in your throat as you saw the scene, leaning into Varian for support. His hand rested itself on your head, playing idly with your hair in comfort, his other wrapped securely around your waist from when he had pulled you away. You looked up at him, which was both annoying and amazing. In the last couple of years, Varian had grown to be taller than you by a good three or four inches, which infuriated you. However, you had to say, you felt rather flustered when you looked up at him and he looked down at you. It made their conversations much more intimate. It made them closer, in the way that (Y/N) wanted them to be, or at least it did in your mind.

As you looked up, you saw his face to be both hard and soft; both serious and scared. You felt his breaths on the back of your head, and they were heavy, and fast. He tightened his arm on you, pulling you closer. (Y/N) suspected it was subconsciously, but still the feeling was nice.

"I saw the fire growing, and you were just staring at it. You weren't moving, and then it got too close," he exclaimed through rapid breaths, although they had slowed a fair amount by now. You manoeuvred your body so you were facing him, with his arm still wrapped securely around you. You looked up.

"Thank you, Varian," you smiled, your lips curled into a coy expression. His face lit up. He stared at you and you stared at him, that was, until something caught his attention from behind you. He cleared his throat.

"I should really put that fire out so..." he pulled his arm away. You watched in awe as he threw a chemball into the fire. You had always loved alchemy, loved the complexity of it. And, even though Varian strongly objected the idea, alchemy had always seemed... magical for you. Immediately, the fire began to dissipate, revealing dead and burnt ground. He turned back to you.

"Its been dark for a while, we should probably head back now," he announced, clapping his bare hands together. You gasped.

"Varian, your apron, your gloves!" You exclaimed, your hands rising up to your mouth. He grinned bashfully, his head tilting as he waved his hand in dismissal. You chuckled half heartedly at his nonchalant response. You turned, beckoning him to follow you.

"So what's on the agenda for the worlds okayest alchemist tomorrow, then?" you teased, and he shrugged.

"I don't know, I might revisit the idea of a flying machine..." he explained, his voice trailing off occasionally, and then picking up in the middle of a new sentence. You listened, intrigued as you watched his face light up, his eyes occasionally drifting down to you as he watched for your approval for him to keep talking. You gave it, and so he did.

You were so engaged, you hardly even noticed when his arm snaked around your waist, and pulled you closer.

"Varian?" You asked, missing his voice. What's wron- hmph!"

You were cut off when a pair of warm lips matched with yours, swiftly and forcefully, pushing you backwards a little. His other hand placed itself behind your head pulling you closer, and instinctively you wrapped your arms around his neck. You felt your breath weaken, and you pulled away, gasping. His face was bright red, and he stared at you, waiting for your reaction. When you didn't give one, he rushed too explain himself.

"I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me! I must have inhaled some smoke from the fire or.. or." He too, was cut off. You pulled your lips away from his cheek and reached for his hand, interlocking your fingers and swinging your hands softly.

"Don't apologise. You have nooo idea how long I've waited for you to do that," you giggled, swinging your arm more forcefully as you watched his face light up to match yours, "besides, you're pretty cute."

"You're pretty cute yourself," he retorted, his sarcasm sprinkled with flirtatious intent. You snorted, simultaneously shoving him with your elbow. A look of admiration came across his face as he regained himself. Varian held out his arm.

"Muh-lady," he teased flirtatiously, and you giggled as you took his arm, which then found its way back around your waist.

All was as it was before, except now, it was better.