Scar 8

Lucas' POV

Grass slick with blood

Screams echoing.

And a burning pain in my chest.

I know what the pain is from. Riana is dying.

I try to look around, I try to find her on the battlefield, but I'm not in control of my body. I don't know what is. I feel like a prisoner in my own mind.

My body shifts to wolf form and moves through the battle, looking for someone. Jake appears next to me, his grey fur covered in blood that's not his own. His eyes are blank, and dead-looking, and I don't like it.

Up ahead, I see River in human form fighting some of the rogues from my old rogue group. Jake and I sneak up behind him, low growls escaping our lips.

I try to stop myself, to let River know what's happening to me, but I can't do anything. All I can do is watch as I lunge at River's back. He must sense me because he pivots away, and I go past him. I turn and growl at him and we start circling each other.

I see Jake lunging at River from behind. This time, River fails to dodge in time and Jake tackles him. Jake pins River to the ground, growling with his teeth bared. I can see the shock in the Alpha's eyes when he recognizes Jake. River's eyes turn to me as I walk up and stand beside Jake, growling lowly.

River's shock quickly turns to betrayal and hurt, but he doesn't let that stop him from fighting Jake. When River tries clawing at Jake's stomach, nothing happens, like Jake's wearing some kind of invisible armour. My claws easily cut through River's skin though when I draw them across his face, adding to the scars already there.

River hisses in pain but forces out at growl. I can tell it's hard for him to growl at or attack me. Jake slashes his claws across River's chest, easily drawing blood.

I struggle against whatever is controlling my body, trying to gain control over my movements. Jake looks at me, his expression saying 'what are you doing?' River takes Jake's distraction as an opportunity to fling my best friend off him. Jake, caught off guard, hits the ground with a thud but he quickly gets back up, completely unharmed.

We circle River, growling softly.

Ready? Jake asks.

What? No! I say. No, I am not ready! I don't want to kill River!

C'mon, suck it up Killer, Jake taunts. I don't like his tone. Normally, it would be playful and mischievous. Now it's cruel and challenging. This is what you're meant for. It's why they kidnapped you.

What?! What are you talking about?! I yell. Jake doesn't respond. Prince! Jake, answer me!

What I'm meant for? They kidnapped me so I could kill River?

Ask me, Jake says, chuckling darkly. Wake up and ask me.

Suddenly, we both lunge at River. Just as my jaws are about to lock around his throat, everything disappears.

My eyes snap open. My breathing is heavy, my body covered in a cold sweat. Riana is sitting beside me, her hand on my shoulder. Morning sunlight is shining through the window, lighting up the room.

"You OK?" she asks softly. "You were muttering things like 'I don't want to kill River' and something about Jake not answering you."

"I'm fine," I say, trying to slow my breathing. "Just a dream... Just a nightmare."