Scar 15

Lucas' POV

"Ready?" I ask.

"Ready as I'll ever be," Jake mutters. "Act insane, right?"

I nod. "Yeah. Psychopathic."

"Shouldn't be too hard," Jake replies, thinking. "Maybe just add a crazed edge to the usual mask."

I nod again. "Should be good enough. Let's go, T wants everyone there by 2."

Jake stifles a yawn, "still don't see why we couldn't attack at midnight. I'm sleepy still."

We walk out the front door, both of us wearing only pants. The bruises and claw marks from the attack on Bloodsky pack yesterday still haven't completely healed, because rogues heal slower than pack wolves, so they're visible on our chests. I like the scars, they give you something to remember, like a souvenir.

There's also a few hickeys on my forearm and bicep from me and my habit of sucking on my skin when I get bored sometimes. I can already see problems the habit will cause, so I've been trying to stop. It hasn't stopped.

Jake and I walk in silence, neither of us saying a word.

I've heard rumors that Amos has told Nightstalker and their allies to kill Jake and I on sight. I don't fully believe it, and I'm willing to take the risk that the rumors are true to make sure they know it's all been an act.

I know nearby packs know that Prince and Killer are back and at large. Not for long though. Before noon today, Prince and Killer are gonna be dead, and it'll just be Jake and I. No more masks.

Jake and I walk into the small clearing in front of the base. It's only five or so rogues, including Trenton.

"Killer, Prince, you're early for once," Trenton says, smirking.

"Decided we might as well be early to the last mission," I reply with a carless shrug.

Jake and I lean against the side of the house, behind Trenton.

"So T," Jake says, "what's the plan?"

Trenton turns around to face us. "We go to Nightstalker, kill everyone who stands against us, and make Killer alpha. We gain control of the strongest pack in the country, and Killer takes the place he was born for."

I put on a fake, malicious grin. "Can't wait."

Trenton chuckles. "You won't have to wait much longer, Killer." He checks his watch, and growls. "The bastards should be here by now."

"Stupid assholes, always late," I say, shaking my head and acting as if it's not usually Jake and I the last ones to important meetings.

Trenton looks at me, and rolls his eyes.

The rest of the rogues show up within the next five minutes. Trenton runs through the plan quickly and we go, shifting and taking off towards Nightstalker territory.

Thinking of fighting River makes my stomach churn, but I force the feeling away. I have to focus. I can't show weakness now. Trenton will be after Jake and I, and there's a possibility Nightstalker might be too.

No, weakness will get us killed.

No weakness. No losing focus. No warmth. No emotion. Keep my guard up and mask on until it's all over.

Lucas, Jake's voice cuts through my thoughts. Look up ahead.

I scan the forest in front of us, and smirk mentally. Nightstalker. With River in the lead.

I hear River let out a loud snarl.

I thought you two said he'd be either dead or unconscious in the hospital, Trenton growls, slowing his pace and stopping.