chapter fourteen

"So, Hennessy." Alexander said, as she was making his breakfast. She was flipping bacon, and glanced over to him. It had been a couple days since George paid them a visit. And things have gone back to normal.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to go to an event with me." He said, sipping his coffee out of a clear glass mug at the kitchen island.

"An event? Like what do you mean." Hennessy said, suddenly aware of her surroundings. What did he mean? An event? She was his maid.

"It's a charity gala. I would like you to go with me." Alexander said, and she looked back at him. What? Why would he want her to be his date at an event, when he could have anybody.

"Why? You could-god. You could have anyone you wanted. Ask someone else." She didn't want to go, uncomfortable dresses, mean rich people, she would much rather stay at the apartment.

"Because Hennessy, I really want to treat you like you should be treated. Please!!" He said, a smile on his face. He knew this is a step in the right direction. For her to be able to see that she can live life to the fullest.

"Fine. Okay." She said, smiling to herself. He was cute when he said please. Cuter than usual.

"Really! Wow. It's tonight." He said, a huge smile on his face, but Hennessy was still on the border.

"What. Tonight? That's so soon. I don't think I'm ready." Hennessy said, putting the finished bacon on a plate and placing it in front on Alexander.

"That's why I took the day off work, and we are going to be shopping. We will get you a dress, your nails done, hair done." He said, droning on.

"Wow. Rude." She said, turning back around to the oven to start eggs.

"What?"

"You are basically saying I need all that stuff because I'm not pretty now." Hennessy said. She was completely joking, but liked to mess with him.

"No, no. That's not what I'm saying. I just-"

"I know. I'm just messing with you." She chuckled and started mixing around the eggs, scrambling them as Alexander ate his bacon.

"Wow. Alright then. So after breakfast we can head out and look for dresses. Okay?" He droned on, already planning their day.

"Of course, yeah. But promise me you will stay with me at the party. I don't want to be left all alone mingling with the upper-class." Hennessy said, and he leaned back in his seat.

"I promise." Alexander continued to watch her walk gracefully around the kitchen. "You are very beautiful Hennessy. So beautiful." He said, wanting to make sure she knew. Wanting to make sure she felt beautiful.

"Oh, thanks." She chuckled, shaking her head at his antics.

They were in Saks, browsing the dress selection. Alexander had his arm around her waist, and she tried not to melt into the touch. She tried not to imagine what it would be like, to be held like this all the time.

"What about this one?" He said, holding out a light pink dress with his free hand. It was tight fitting, and gorgeously flowed down the bottom.

"It's pretty, yeah." Hennessy said, but then glanced at the price tag. "No way. $5,000! Jesus christ."

"It's okay. Hennessy. Try it on."

"No. $5,000, Xander! That's insane!" She whispered to him, trying to move on to the next rack of dresses. But his arm pulled her back, pulling her into his chest.