An Interesting Sunday Pt. 1

Thanks, Elmira! I’ll see you tomorrow!” I called over my shoulder as I walked out of the bookstore. Elmira, the owner of the shop (and my boss) stepped half out of the door, waving her old wrinkled hand.

“Goodbye. I shall see you tomorrow on time!” she called, her time-worn reedy voice piercing the air. I smiled and walked to Sophia’s car. It was parked in front of the store and Sophia looked relieved as I finally walked out.

“So, how was the witch today?” Sophia asked when I opened the door. I rolled my eyes.

“Elmira is a lovely lady. You just got to get on her good side.”

“I tried! She hates me!”

“You spilled sweet tea on a new stack of books we just got in that day. If that’s your version of trying, I would hate to see what occurs when you don’t try.”

Sophia shook her head, her lovely long, brown mass of springy curls bouncing around her shoulders and the small of her back as she did so. “Whatever. That was ages ago and she’s still spiteful and grudge-y over it. She’s a callous woman, Asher.”

I laughed in response. Elmira was known to be a very nit-picky, shrewd lady. Her hard-hearted nature was legend among the children of the town, and all steered clear of her because of it. However, when I got to know her, I found a whole new side. Once you get to actually interact with her and get her to open up, she’s really interesting. She had been all over the world because her father was a military officer and had seen some sights most people could only dream of. I loved listening to her stories of her past as we stocked shelves together or sat in the reading lounge conversing over a plate of cookies and chocolate milk. In return, she asked me to tell her tales from different cultures. She was oddly fascinated with old Native American legends, Greek myths, and Mexican lore. Which was completely okay with me because I also loved them. I had tons of books on the three subjects, and more cultural legends and myths. It was a guilty pleasure of mine. That was one thing Elmira and I bonded over, and it wasn’t always that way.

You see, Elmira was only cold to those she didn’t know and wasn’t use to. She also knew exactly how she wanted things done and expected them to be so. When I first applied for the job she was very curt with me. Only after Father Time’s softening hand pushed her, did she actually start trusting me and opening up. She was definitely an acquired taste, but one I wouldn’t ever choose to give up. It was like having my very own Aunt Josephine.

“So, where do you need to be now, Mr.-I-Don’t-Know-How-To-Drive?” Sophia asked, yelling over the blaring music she always played when she drove.

“Hey, low blow. I just… don’t like driving,” I said.

“Yeah, I know,” Sophia replied, her tone softening. I changed the subject.

“Anyway, we gotta go to the pet supply store. I got some things to buy.”

“Awwwwe. Did I mention that your boys are adorable???”

I laughed. “Yes. Multiple times.”

When Sophia had picked me up she was surprised to see me being followed by the two new creatures in the household. Naturally, she bonded with them immediately and they loved her, Roli especially. Sophia had always had a good bond with animals. She loved them, and they loved her back. It amazed me.

“Well, I’m telling you again. They’re adorable!” She squealed as she said the last word, scrunching her shoulders up for emphasis. The millions of brightly colored plastic bracelets that lined all the way up to her elbows jangled as she drove, and her fake, slightly pointed, red nails drummed the steering wheel. She was wearing her pin-covered jean jacket with the frayed edges and sleeves torn off over a pastel pink t-shirt. She was a beacon of color.