7. Lost

Clara

"You don't have to leave. I'm pretty sure I can defend myself " he said.

"No, you don't understand my husband can even get you kill if he wants to" I said feeling my heartbeat increase.

"Please! I don't think he has the nerve to spend his life in jail" Mat said annoyed.

"Don't underestimate him" I said packing my things.

"Your the one that is underestimating me" he said grabbing my arm.

"Let go, you don't know me" I said feeling my face heat up.

"I know that your husband beats you up and manipulate you whenever he wants. I was trying to help you but fine if you want to leave so badly than go running back to his arms. But don't come back crying!" He yelled walking out of the house.

I sit on the bed unsure of what to do next.

If I stay Mat would suffer but if I left Jack would find a way to get me back.

Mat wants me to stay even if things turn bad.

If I left I would be on the streets again. Until, Jack comes back to make my life a living hell.

My decision was clear I wanted Mat to be safe even if I had to endure being by Jacks side.

I finished packing and walked out the house.

I was surprised to see Mat waiting for me outside.

"I'm sorry by the way I spoke to you. I shouldn't have" he apologize.

"It's okay. I'm also sorry for causing you trouble" I said walking towards him and giving him a hug.

"I'll give you a ride" he said getting his keys from his pockets.

"I'm going kind of far from here" I said embarrassed.

"That's fine" he said looking at me.

"Thank you" I said getting on the car and giving him the address.

*****

"Clara, wake up" Mat said shaking me.

"What happened?" I asked barely opening my eyes.

"We have a problem" he said looking out the window.

"Can you tell me because I don't see the problem" I said closing my eyes.

"We ran out of gas" he said.

"Okay" I said sleepy.

"What? Where are we?" I asked after the words made sense in my mind.

"We are a few hours away from the town you want to go" he said looking at me.

"Do you have your phone?" I asked concerned.

"There is no signal here" he said annoyed.

"Then lets just walk" I said opening the door.

"Are you crazy?" He asked looking outside.

"Just imagine we are in a gym and we have to walk even if we don't want to" I said with a smile.

"I think it's better if we stay here and see what happened in the morning" Mat said locking the doors.

"Don't tell me your scared of the darkness and the wilderness" I said hiding my smile.

"What! No" he said blushing.

"It will be okay I'm here" I said getting out of the car and started to walk.

After a couple of minutes he got out and walked towards me.

"I'm surprised that you don't freak out when things like this happen" he said catching up.

"I'm not going to lie. When I was younger I used to live out on the streets. Sometimes I would even wonder around here and there" I said looking at him.

"Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything" he said embarrassed.

"That's okay. It's not like I'm embarrassed about my past. I'm proud of who I am. After all I know how to survive anywhere I go" I said feeling stronger than before.

"That's what I like about you" he said making a movement to hit his hand.

"Mosquitos, that's one thing I don't like" I said grabbing his hand and started running for a couple of minutes.

I was busy enjoying the fresh air hitting my face and enjoying my freedom.
That I hadn't payed attention to Mat laughing by my side.

"Your fun to be with" he said staring at me.

"Fun, don't tell me. You haven't run outside for awhile" I teased.

"No, not like before" he admitted looking down.

"I love running it's one of the things he hates the most. So I would go outside or in the gym to run. That was the only safe place he wouldn't follow me" I said thinking out loud.

"Do you miss him?" Mat asked slowing down.

"Not really" I said quietly.

"I bet he was a good person when you first met him and fell madly in love with him" he said.

"What makes you think that?" I asked stopping on my tracks.

"You defended him and the pool. I could have called the police and have him lock up. In you would have been free from him yet you didn't want to. Than you opened the door for him. Doesn't that mean something" he said looking at me.

"That means I'm a pacifistic person" I said walking again.

"Interesting" he said staring at me.

"Stop staring at me or I'll start thinking you have feeling towards me" I said teasing him again.

He was quiet as he walked towards me.

"We have to hurry if not we will never get there" I said. Starting to walk faster feeling kind of scared with his change of mood.

I blinked a couple of times as a bright light stopped in front of me.

Suddenly, I realized the light was from the car that stopped in front of us.

A man got out quickly and walked towards me.

He was about to grab me but Mat was faster than him. He pushed me to the side and started fighting the guy.

I was an shock.

I snapped out of it when I saw a movement inside the car.

"Jack, what do you want?" I asked as I stood and walked towards him.

"I wanted to give your boyfriend a gift for taking my wife" Jack said drinking a cup of wine.

"Tell him to leave him alone" I said making my hand into a fist.