15. Memories

Clara

I was walking back and forth in front of the door. Waiting impatiently for Mat to come back home.

"Ouch..." I said as the door suddenly open and hit my head.

"Clara, are you okay? What were you doing so close to the door?" Mat asked concerned.

"Sorry, I was waiting for you" I said feeling my face heat up.

"I don't have any news. The man is hard to broke" Mat said scratching his head.

"Mat, maybe you didn't try hard enough" I said annoyed.

"Maybe you should be the one going" he said glaring at me.

"Sorry" I said.

"Look, I know that you want to help Jack but don't blame me for things that I have nothing to do" he said turning to leave.

"Sorry!" I said loudly.

****

"Can we talk?" I asked Mat as he closed the fridge.

He had been avoiding me for days and when we were in the same room tension was in the air.

I hated the change.

"No" he said walking past me.

"Mat, please forgive me. I know your trying to help me but I keep pushing you away. Please forgive me. I will try to change the way I am towards you" I said as I grabbed his arm.

"Don't try! Do something to change" he said coldly.

"Your my friend but remember you did betray me. It's hard to tell who are my real friends" I said letting his arm go.

"I know but I haven't given you a reason to think badly about me now" he said not taking his eyes off me.

I looked down feeling like I have hurt Mat by doubting him.

"I love you" he blurted out.

"What did you say??" I asked looking up confused.

"I love you even if you don't love me back" he said standing closer to me.

"I..." I was speechless.

Nobody has ever confessed to me.

In the beginning my mother told me that Jack loved me and wanted to be with me forever. I was young back than and the only thing I wanted was to study hard.

But my dream was taken away by force.

I only have bad memories.

It all started the day I met him. When I was 13 years old:

I was dancing around and singing in the streets. Those were my best days, I didn't had to worry about my surroundings. I loved the way people looked at me.

I was the happiest girl when I danced.

Suddenly, I turned and saw this handsome man standing in front of me. I wanted to laugh because he was only staring at me amusement in his face.