35. doubt

Clara

The way Jack looked at me made me feel bad.

I can forgive him but I could never forget what he did to me.

It was a life lesson that had taught me to be stronger.

"I forgave you a long time ago. But I need to take things slowly" I said not able to look at him.

"Fine, I'll give you the time you need. But I will go with you to save Steven. It also took me by surprise to know our family history. I just don't know how to react to everything just like you" he said touching my hand softly.

"But its not his fault" I said pulling my hand away.

"Please, listen, we DO NOT know him how can you be so sure that he is not as crazy as David" Jack said.

"We DO NOT know Veronica and you took a risk to find me with her help" I said throwing his words back at him.

"Its different" he said stubborn.

"Why because your a men and I'm just a women" I said furiously. Getting up to leave.

"Because your the women I have always loved and will love until the day I die" he said grabbing my hand and pulling me down towards him.

"If you love me than give me time to think things through" I said struggling to free myself.

He was about to speak when the door opened and Veronica came rushing outside the house.

"I know where they are at! Please, help me" she screamed at us.

What the heck?

How did she know?

I could only stare at her with my mouth open. I couldn't make out a single word.

Jack reacted faster than I did.

"Where and how did you know?" Jack asked as we helped each other get up.

"David called again and told me the location" she said looking around for any threats.

"You need to calm down. We will rescue Steven but we need to creat a plan to save him" I said trying to not sound suspicious of her.

This was the second time that David called and she was the one answering.

I just could not trust her. Something was off.

Or maybe I was being overactive.

I just don't know what to believe in anymore.

Jack turn to look at me.

But I only had my eyes on Veronica.

"How can you say that! If you had been the one to stay behind Steven would have done anything in his power to save you!" She shouted at me.

"I'm not saying that we won't do anything to save him. But we can't just walk in into David traps" I said crossing my arms.

"You have to do what I say! I'm your MOTHER you spoil brat!" She shouted slapping me hard.

Jack grabbed her arm and pushed her away from me. She was trying to swing at me again.

I was completely shock.

This women was crazy.

"Don't you every dare hit her again!" Jack shouted at her, twisting her arms behind her back.

"Let go!" She shouted.

"Clara, open the door" Jack ordered.

I opened the door to the house.

Jack basically dragged Veronica inside the house and locked her in her room.

Diego came rushing towards us as Veronica bang on the door.

"What is happening?" Diego asked confused.

"Veronica attacked Clara" Jack responded sternly.

Diego didn't say anything.

"We will keep her locked in the room until she calms down" Jack said loudly for Veronica to hear.

"If your father was alive he would have killed you for this!" She shouted making more noises.

"You wish my father was a monster like your brother. I don't know how he could love you!" Jack shouted back.

She was screaming her head off.

"I have something to tell you both" Diego spoke up.

"Did something happen to Steven?" I asked feeling my heart beat increased.

"No" he said.

I sigh in relief.

"Than.." Jack said irritated.

"I took the liberty to look up the men that was imprison. We can ask him questions about your parents, Clara" Diego said.

"He could do something to Clara. Remember he went to jail for something he never did" Jack said lowering his voice.

"But he has some of the answers we need" Diego said firmly looking at both of us.

"We can't risk Clara to something like this. What if he wants to get even? He spent his whole youth in jail. I would have killed the B****" Jack said glaring at Diego.

"But I want to know someone else version of what happened many years ago. Why everyone that is relative to me are insane" I finally spoke up.

Maybe that men was the clue to some of the things that happened.

That men was forced to stay quiet. Maybe something more could have been happening that I didn't know.

Why did the police tried so hard to hide the truth about my grandparents death.

And why was nothing being done.

Than and now.

We did report everything to the police but there was no updates. Nothing or was I going crazy.

I felt that someone was working for David.

"Clara, are you sure?" Jack asked uneasy.

"Yes, I'm sure" I said staring at the door.

Veronica kept shouting and throwing things at the door.

"We need to make sure she doesn't leave the house" I said turning to look at Jack and Diego.

"I can put someone to watch the door and the windows" Diego said getting his phone out and making phone calls.

Jack kept staring at me.

Observing me.

"You don't trust her" he said in a low voice.

"I can't even trust my own shadow anymore" I said trying to sound calm.

But in reality I felt like I just wanted to give up.

David had allies and they had the power to make us disappear any time if we are not careful.

Veronica reaction was the one that got me off guard.