11. Chance

I felt nerves as I sit down.

Jack was quietly staring at me. Waiting for me to speak up.

"What would you like to order" the waitress asked breaking the silence.

"Coffee and a ice coffee, only" Jack replied.

I waited until he was gone to speak.

"Congratulations, Jack I heard your getting married" I said trying to relax.

"Don't beat around the bush. I know you don't even give me a second thought" Jack said not taking his eyes off me.

"My mother convinced me to come see you. She is sick and wants us to be together again. I told her that you have moved on to leave the past and the past. I'm sorry for bothering you for this nonsense" I said quickly.

"Your mother is sick?" Jack asked surprised.

"Yes" I replied as the waitress came to give us our drinks.

"I want to see her" he said determined.

"Your not mad" I said confused.

"No, I knew your mother would do this one day. The sad part is that you didn't come to see me because you felt like it. I thought for a second that I meant something to you but I was a fool" he said with a sad smile.

"I'm sorry" I said feeling guilty.

"You shouldn't apologize because thanks to you I meet a nice women that loves me like I do" he said drinking his coffee.

"I'm glad to hear you say that" I said drinking my ice coffee.

****

"Clara, can you bake me my favorite chocolate cake" my mother said as she hugged Jack.

"Okay" I said hurrying out the door. I knew they wanted to talk in private.

****

I was barely taking the cake out of the oven when someone tapped me in the shoulder.

I almost, 'almost" dropped the cake.

"Do you want to give me a heart attack!" I yelled at Jack.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" he said not looking at me.

"No, I should be the one apologizing" I said putting the cake down on the table.

"I have decided to cancel the wedding for now" Jack said sitting down.

"Jack, you don't need to do this..." I started to say.

"We will go out for six months and see what happens from there" he said getting up to leave.

I stayed quiet not wanting to argue. I was relieved when he was out of the house.

"Mom! The cake is ready" I yelled feeling proud by the way I decorated it.

There was no response.

I walked to the room and found my mother asleep.

I closed the door as quiet as possible.

Suddenly, someone was banging on the door.

"Who is it?" I yelled through the door.

"Clara it's me" Mat said in a urgent voice.

Seriously, first Jack than Mat. I thought annoyed.

I opened the door to Mat ready to tell him stuff.

When he fell to the floor blood all over his clothes.

"O my god, what happened?" I asked closing the door quickly and locking it.

"A couple of guys jumped me when I was on my way here. Those busters didn't want me to be here for a reason" he said.

"But why?" I asked.

"I came to warn you about Jack" he said in a weak voice.

"Mat.." I was starting to say.

"Jack and your mother are planning to do something to you" Mat said concern.

"Something" I said surprised.

"Your mother lied about her sickness to get you back to Jack. Jack wasn't going to get married. They both are wicked" Mat said quickly.

"How do you know that?" I asked surprised.

"I overheard them speaking just now and I told you I would never leave Jack alone" he said.

"You said they were going to do something to me. I don't think my mother would dare kill me" I said half joking.

"If by the end of the agreement you still don't like Jack. He will take you away where he can control you. And both of them are determined to make you a mom" he said.

"So your trying to say that I have two optioned. 1: do something 2: be forced to do something I'm not ready yet" I said clenching my hand.

"Yes" He said try to get up.

"I'll take you to the hospital" I said helping him up.

"I can go by my self" Mat said trying to get up.

"If only you could stand up" I said helping him to the car.

***

I was waiting in the waiting room when I saw my mothers doctor. He was a friend of my dad and a good friend to me.

"Hi, I wanted to talk to you about my mother" I said as soon as I reached him.

"What about your mother?" He asked surprised. After the death of my father Doctor James was always there ready to help out if needed.

"Hasn't my mother come to see you?" I asked.

"I haven't seen your mother after the day you got married. Why are you asking?" he said looking at me.

"It's complicated" I said.

"I'm glad to see you and know that you accomplished your goal. Your dad would have been proud of you" he said smiling at me.

"Thank you but I have done a lot of mistakes that I regret" I said blushing.

"Mistakes are part of life. Nobody is perfect" he said with a knowing look.

"I'm a divorced woman" I said in a low voice.

"And that is nothing to be ashamed of" he said.

"But.." I was about to say but he interrupted me.

"When I heard you got divorced I was happy for you. I argued with your mother in the past about the way she treated you. But it was like talking to the wall. Like a part of her died with your father" he said upset.

"That's what I always thought" I said.

"If you ever need any help I'm here, okay" he said giving me his phone number.