New York Islanders - Mathew Barzal

Not Just Friends 

I am always the one helping my friends with their relationships but I am never the one in them. I have been in love with my best friend for as long as I can remember. I have gone on dates but its never with the person I want it be on a date with.

"Y/N are you here?" I hear my roommate call out from the living room.

"Yeah in my room." I look up from my book when she walks in.

"So we are going on a double date."

"You are the only one with a boyfriend Malloree." she sighed and took a seat next to me on my bed.

"I know that. Thats why Jason and I are bring guy are you to meet." I rolled my eyes.

"When is this double date?"

"Tonight."

"I can't I have plans tonight Mal I told you that I wouldn't be home tonight."

"When did you tell me that? I don't remember that at all. Who do you have plans with?"

"I have plans with Mat."

"When are you going to tell him that you have feelings for him? Or are you just going to watch him be with someone thats not you?"

"He's not with anyone."

"Not yet."

"I can't tell him you know this I have told you a million times. I don't want to ruin our friendship that we have. I have known him for so long that if he doesn't feel the same way things will just be weird." I got off the bed and walked out of my room into the living room and turned the tv on.

"Well what are you and Mat doing tonight?"

"Some of our friends from back home came into town this morning so we all are just hanging out at Mat's place."

"Do your other friends know that our in love with Mat?"

"Some make jokes about Mat and I dating but I think it all jokes."

"If thats what you are going to keep telling yourself." Malloree picked up her bag and headed to the door. "Well I am going to meet up with Jason I will see you tomorrow then?"

"Yepp." I heard the door close and I closed my eyes and put my head back against the couch and let out a loud sigh.

I have been wanting to tell Mat that I like him for a while now but I can't I don't want to risk it. Out of all my my friends back home he is my best friend and if anything happen to that I don't know what I would do. I don't even know if he feels the same way he has been going on dates a lot lately.

I pulled into Mat driveway and went right inside. I always walk in without knocking. I heard everyone talking I heard my name come up and I stopped to listen.

"So when are you going to ask Y/N out Mat?" I heard our friend Sarah ask.

"What are you talking about?"

"Mat on on we all have known you both for the longest time and we see the way you both look at each other and how you both talk about each other. Mat just admit you have feelings for Y/N." I didn't want to hear what he was going to say I wasn't ready.

"Hey everyone." I smiled and walked in.

"Y/N!"

"Do you just let yourself in?" Mark asked while giving me hug.

"Do you ever set your phone down?" Mark is the one in the group that is always on his phone weather its scroll through Instagram Twitter or he's talking to several girls. He is the player of our group.