New York Islanders - Mathew Barzal

"You're the lucky ones,"

Anthony use to say that to us all the time. That we were lucky that we had found each other. That the love that had was one in a lifetime.

When Mat moved to New York and started to play with the Islanders we meet through some mutual friends. We would always hang out in as a group go to dinner or hang out at someones houses. The one day Mat asked me dinner just the two of us. I was shocked that he was asking me out because I didn't think he liked me more than a friend. I had a crush on him since the first day I meet him just never did anything about my feelings.

We dated for a while then both of our lives got busy and our relationship was mainly of the phone. He was traveling for hockey and I just started as a traveling nurse. We didn't really get to see each other, only on FaceTime. We broke up both said it was for the best and that we could still be friends.

The thing was I was still madly in love with him.

——————————————-

I was currently at a party that I knew Mat was going to be at. I thought while getting ready that it was no big deal. We said we would still be friends after we broke up but what if I saw him with someone else. What if I saw him kiss another girl. I would just have to stand there and be okay with it because we broke up.

When we use to go to party together I knew that my place was right next to him. I knew if he was talking to his friends he would make sure I was in the conversation too. If I was talking to the girls he would either be holding my hand or have an arm around me. My place use to next to him.

Now I'm standing alone in a crowded room and we're not even talking. I want to know if it's killing him like it s killing me seeing him across the room. He's laughing at whatever Anthony had said to him. He didn't look at me once, at least not that I saw.

"Y/N come on let's go get you a drink before he sees you staring at him." One of my friends that I came with pulled my arm lightly and I followed her. She was right I probably look like a creep just standing there looking at him.

"How did we end up like this?" I say out loud. My friend turns around to look at me. "I mean I am here pulling at my clothes because I'm nervous that he will see me." I shake me head.

"You are thinking about this way too much. Stop thinking about him."

"That's easy for you to say. How can I stop thinking about him if I'm still in love with the man?" My eyes went wide and I covered my mouth. I can't believe I just said that out loud.

"Wait Y/N you're what?"

"Yeah I'm still in love with him but we broke up." I grabbed another drink and went back to where the party was. I didn't want to stay and hear what she was going to say about the news I just told her.

I found a group of people that I knew and stared to talk to them. I turned around for a minute and saw Mat looking at me and walk the other way. I sighed and went back to the conversation.

He's doings best to avoid me and I don't blame him. I would probably walk the other way too. I knew if we were close to each other I don't know what I would do. I might tell him that I miss him. I might tell him that I want him back. I might tell him that if it means having him back I would get a normal nursing job at the hospital which I would be just fine with. Because truth me told I don't know why I took the traveling nurse job.

"I need some air." I told the people around me.

It broke my heart that he would just turn around when he saw me. I don't know what I really wanted him to do. Maybe just come up and say hi I guess.

"Why don't you just go in there and talk to her?" I heard someone say on the side of the house. The voice sounded familiar. I couldn't point my figure on it though.

"What am I suppose to say to her? Hi you look beautiful as always how have you been?" I knew that voice right off the bat and once I heard Mat's voice I knew he was talking to Anthony.

"You are betting yourself up over this break up. You either of in there and talk to her or tomorrow you call her and talk to her." Were they talking about me?" I was about to do something I didn't want to do but there was something in me that said 'get over there and talk to him.' I mean the door was right next to them too so either way I have to go over there.

I coughed a little letting them know that they aren't alone. I walked out from around the corner and came into view of Mat and Anthony. Mat's eyes go wide and Anthony smiles.

"Perfect here is your chance." Anthony looks at Mat and then at me. "Its nice to see you Y/N."

"Its good to see you too," Anthony didn't say another else he just walked back into the house and closed the door. I looked down at my feet because I didn't want to look at Mat.

"How much of that did you hear?" Mat was the first to speak.

"Just something about you wanting to talking to me." I looked but not at him. I don't know what really I was looking at but I know it wasn't at Mat.

"Well that is true. Y/N we do need to talk." I heard walk closer to me. I wanted to take a step back but my feet wouldn't move. "What are doing?" I heard him speak again.

"We are standing outside," I looking around and laugh a little bit and it made Mat laugh too which made my smile a little bigger. I have missed his laugh.

"No I mean what were we thinking when we broke up? Because I miss the freaking hell out of you. I miss our FaceTime dates. I miss seeing you're weird snapchat faces you would send me daily. I miss you."

"You know why we broke up Mat, we didn't see each other as much I we wanted to."

"We could figure something out! Hell I will quiet hockey to be with you. Y/N I love you and I don't want to go another day without you."

"Mathew Barzal you will not quiet hockey because of me."

"Well I don't want to lose you." I finally looked right into his eyes. I knew what I had to do. I took a deep breath.

"I want us back to Mat. I want to go to your games again and wear your jersey and know you are going home with me after." Mat took my hands into his. "I have thought about this a lot and I don't know why I didn't think about this before. I am going to quiet me job and just Geta job at the hospital. I don't have to travel to be a nurse I don't have to travel to save lives I can save them right here in New York. I don't want you to leave the thing that you love to do Mat. There are other ways for me to be a nurse. There is only one way to be in the NHL." I wasn't able to say anything else because Mat's lips was placed on mine.

I don't know how long we kissed for but I didn't care. "So does this mean you will be my girlfriend again?" Mat asked me pulling away a little bit.

"If it means you will be my boyfriend."