C H A P T E R 1 1

It didn't take long for Ebony to drift off into a deep sleep.

As Ebony was sleeping, the darkness she had once she closed her eyes was quickly replaced with the sight of her special place, the treehouse. The one thing that stuck out most was a bright orange light that made her face warm, naturally she walked towards it, but the closer she got, the clearer the image became, it was her treehouse... on fire.

She screamed as hard and as loud as she could, for someone to help her, but it was as if her voice had disappeared; her throat began to hurt but still nothing came out. Her treehouse soon fell to the ground in fit of flames, she could feel the heat of the fire burn her face. As she walked around the burning wood, she saw a figure standing next to it, playing with the fire with their hands but who was it? When they turned around, she recognised the man to be her father, as he looked at her, he could see the lighter he held and the sinister smile his face held. As he started walking towards her the picture began to change.

She was stuck in her car again, her leg was stuck between the ground and her car, she remembered that soon enough she'd pass out from the pain, but then she heard someone calling her name, before she could figure out who was saying it, she was slowly being shaken awake.

"Ebony?"

"Ebony wake up!"

She opened her eyes, but was met with Max's worried green eyes, her mother and the hospital staff.

"Ebony honey, you're burning up, why were you screaming?" Ebony's mother asked while touching all over her face, it was then that Ebony realised how hot and sweaty she actually was.

"Mum I'm fine, I'm just a bit hot" Ebony answered while taking the blanket off of her body.

The doctors did a routine check and told her that as long as she took her pain medication, stayed in bed and didn't do any strenuous physical activity, she could leave the hospital, Ebony was grateful that she could leave but she'd be alone because her mum had to stay at the hospital because it was so busy. Max hadn't left so he offered to take her home.

"Are you okay?"
"Are you in any pain?"
"Is your arm okay"

Was all Ebony heard from Max on the way from the hospital, she appreciated how much he cared for her especially since that day, she had to apologise for her reaction to him telling her about the mafia, she definitely overreacted but then again, how would you feel if your friend just told you they were in the mafia?

After arriving at her house, Enzo and Alex were standing at the front of her house with elephant teddy bears and 'get well soon' balloons, how did they know what her favourite animal was?

Max quickly rushed out of the car to help her out of the car, instead of getting the wheelchair from the back of the car, he picked her up bridle style, "damn Winters you look rough" Enzo said, right after they all got in, Max turned and glared at him while Alex smacked the back of his head.

"Y'all are always hitting me" Enzo said, mumbling under his breath.

The funny thing was that she knew he was telling the truth, she did look rough, with all the scars and scratches.

Once they all got situated in the living room, they all got comfortable and started chilling seeing as it was only 9:45pm, Ebony started getting tired again because of the pain relief tablets, but she tried to stay awake for the movies and the gossip.

"So I've been gone for more or less, 3 months... what's been happening at school?" She asked, genuinely wondering what they had all been up to. Alex and Enzo gave each other a look, that just screamed 'we're in trouble'.