C H A P T E R 2 0

Waking up, Ebony felt different, like she could do anything. Grabbing her phone, she saw that she had a goodnight and good morning text from Max, she felt bad for not answering but she had fallen asleep before checking her phone.

Quickly messaging him an apology and a good morning text, she got up with the help of her crutches and went to her bathroom to get ready. Showering took her quite a bit because she couldn't stand for long; making sure she shaved and properly washed her face, she got out and applied lotion to her legs, everyone knows shaving and then going into a fresh bed was the best feeling in the world.

Taking the weather into account, she decided on wearing an all grey tracksuit with some black air forces, tying her hair back into a tight low bun, and put a beanie that covered all of her hair except the bun.

"Ebony are you awake yet?" Ebony's mum asked lightly, while knocking on the door and opening the door.

"Yeah mum I'm ready, I just need to get my phone and my bag" Ebony said.

"Okay I'll be in the car, we can get food when we get there, if you want, or we can eat here"

"Got it! We can eat there, but lets go" Ebony said hurriedly, she really wanted to spend time with her mum, she had been doing so many shifts at the hospital, trying to distract herself from Ebony's state, after the car accident, and after finding out about how bad Ebony's mental health was, and potentially is. Cassandra's main goal for the day was to try and get to know her daughter, and so they could bond with each other.

Getting in the car, they both sat in silence as the radio played in the background, "so um, I was thinking maybe we could start with some light shopping and then, get snacks on the way, so we don't get tired" Cassandra said while switching lanes.

"Yeah that sounds cool, I guess, we can just get a drink from Starbucks too" Ebony said while trying to find the aux. Plugging in her phone, she searched through her music to try and find something appropriate for her mum to enjoy and that doesn't have any curse words. She after much deliberation, she decided on Jah Live by Bob Marley & The Wailers.

Fools say in their hearts
Rasta, your God is dead
But I and I know
Jah, Jah, dread it shall be dread, a dread

Arriving at the shopping centre, waiting in line for the Frappuccinos they ordered, they had a little small talk.

"You know I feel like there's some underlying tension, it's really awkward, or is it just me?" Ebony asked breaking the silence between them.

"I agree, I just- I wanted to use today to get to know you, you're my daughter, damn it I gave birth to you and it's like I have no idea who you are" Cassandra started, "it feels like I have to pretend to be this person when I'm with you, like the mother figure you need or something."

Cassandra felt a weight off of her shoulders once she'd said that, but what Ebony said next was just as important.

"Yeah, it feels like I'm walking on eggshells with you, like I can't say anything because I'm afraid of how you'll react, you already know that I don't have many friends, my mental health isn't the greatest either, but I'm trying." Ebony said, rolling up to collect both of their drinks.

"I don't want you to feel like that at all, I know I'm your mum and not your friend, but can we change that, being a mum is kinda boring, it'd be nice to be friends with my kid." Cassandra said as she rolled Ebony out of the Starbucks and into the main shopping centre.

"I'm not a kid, I'm almost 18, but yes, lets try not to be mother and daughter."

Ebony had just realised that her birthday was soon, although she didn't enjoy celebrating it as much as other people do, she just felt like it was any normal day.

"And as a soon-ish birthday gift, you can buy whatever kind of clothing and shoes that you want, I wanna spoil you okay" Cassandra said, hugging Ebony and rolling her to the closest shoe shop.

"Are you sure, I don't really need any new clothes, it's not like I go out anyway" what Ebony said was true, she wasn't going out, and if she was, it was with Max, even then, all she wore was joggers and hoodies.

"Please can you buy something, just anything, you're Docs are looking a little worn out, you maybe wanna get a new pair of those, the ones that have a thicker sole are really nice, they can even add to your height, short stack." Cassandra joked as she picked up the shoe.

"Maybe, I mean they are nice... this pair, and this pair only" Ebony said before picking up another pair, "okay could I get these in a size 5 please." She said to a staff member.

After hours and hours of shopping, Ebony had her weight in clothes and shoes, the first was full of jeans and shirts, the second had joggers and oversized hoodies, with a couple of shorts and crop tops, a bag of Doc Marten Jadon's, a bag with new boxer shorts and bras, a bag with some nice going out dresses and summer dresses (that she was forced to buy), and lastly a bag of gym clothes for when she started training. It was definitely a day to remember, for the both of them.

After getting home and having a little model of the clothes, Ebony wondered what Max was doing, he said he was training, but for a whole day?

Meanwhile at the Morte Manor.

"Yo my body hurts so much, I've not trained in so long, Ray can you get one of the maids to fill my tub with ice please, I think I'm gonna need a wheelchair after this." Max said while on the floor of the in home gym.

"Sure thing, you want me to get you a bottle too, since you're being such a baby" Ray joked as he walked away.

"Yeah you're lucky my legs are liquid right now, or you'd be dead" Max responded as he tried to get up.