C H A P T E R 2 2

Days had passed since Ebony had talked to Max, not wanting to bother him, she left him to his own accord. Her depressive episode had continued for the remainder of the week, Mrs Morte had tried to call her but she kept her phone on silent, not wanting to be a bother to anyone.

She had contemplated texting Max, but she assumed he was busy with mafia stuff. She couldn't have been more wrong.

"Max, get your ass down here now!" Mrs Morte screamed. Slightly jogging down the stairs, he found his mother and father waiting in the living room.

"Um, hi?" Max said, unsure of what to say.

"Tell me why Cass has just told me that Ebony's been in a really bad depressive episode since the last time we saw her" she seethed, trying to get up with her husband holding her down.

"Cass? You mean Ebony's mom?" He said confused while stepping away from her grasp.

"Yes, Ebony's mother, have you talked to her at all?" She asked.

"No, I haven't, I thought I was giving her space, I thought we'd been around each other too much, Alessandro said we'd been together too long, so I just... I don't know, I thought I should give her some space from me" he said breaking down.

"Son, I was exactly the same with your mother, I was on her case since the day I laid my eyes on her, because she was mine, whether she knew it or not. What I'm trying to say is... you can't go around assuming what someone is thinking, you will never know, even if they tell you, it might not be the truth, but-" Mr Morte tried to advise before his wife interrupted.

"Okay honey, I think he got the point" she said patting his hand, that was around her waist. Martino had never been giving advice or any for that matter, he was only good at commanding, so when it came to being sensitive with his son, he never had that brought down on him, he was an exact replica of his father, ruthless, strong... but not fearless, he was fearful that the mafia business would hurt or break his family, or that his wife and child could die, because he couldn't protect them.

"What your father is trying to say is, did Ebony tell you she needed space from you?" She asked lightly.

"No, but I just though-" he started.

"No. So get your butt in your car and go see her, god knows she needs you now more than ever" she said while getting up and going towards the kitchen, "okay so this one is for Ebony and this is for her mom" bringing in two baskets full of candy, fluffy socks, and a warm blankets.

"Okay, I'll see you guys-" interrupting Max again, his mother began "you will be back when I say you'll be back, and as of now, you have a lot of time to make up for, so get going."

Going into his car, he realised that his parents were right, there was no way in knowing what someone was actually thinking, no matter how hard he tried, he would never, from that moment on he would try to stop assuming and just ask. He had really missed Ebony these past couple of days, he had been so bored, the boys were either working out or playing on the PlayStation.

He needed his Ebony.

Ebony laid on the couch trying to sleep for the third time that day, but it wasn't coming, her mum had tried to come and comfort her, they laid together in silence until Cassandra fell asleep, at that, Ebony chose to go downstairs to let her mum sleep peacefully.

"Honey? Are you downstairs?" Cassandra asked while coming down the stairs, wrapping herself in her robe. Walking down the stairs, she realised all the lights were off, and the curtains were closed.

"I have to go for a shift, but if you need me to stay I can" she tried to help her daughter who was so clearly in pain. Watching her suffer had to have been the hardest thing she'd ever gone through, not being able to help her in any way, other than reassurance.