C H A P T E R 1 3

Neither of them could comprehend the fact that they had actually kissed, neither of them wanted it to end but Max realised that she was new to this so they parted, she made eye contact with him and looked down shyly, the effect he had on her was so odd, but the reign she had on him was stronger than either of them could imagine.

Ebony's brown eyes were dark and full of mystery, mysteries that he was still yet to find and explore, given time she would be his... He knew this because he could feel it, hopefully soon, but he woudn't push her.

"So what does this mean... for us?" He asked, they had just kissed, last time they were together they had just had the biggest fight ever, and now they were kissing.

She looked up at him, looking back and forth between his eyes, she engulfed him in a tight hug, it was then that he heard her crying and sniffling.

Was the kiss bad? Did I ask about us too soon?

He didn't ask any questions, he just let her cry.

After a few minutes, her tears subsided, she pulled away from him and wiped her tears, she took his hands in hers and began to run her fingers over his knuckles, she noticed all of the cuts and bruises on them, bringing them up to her lips, she brushed her lips along them and kissed them, hoping that they would disappear. As soon as her lips touched his knuckles he realised how soft they were.

She started to talk but then paused.

"I'm sorry about that, you didn't do anything wrong if you might have thought that, it's just sometimes I cry, it's part of having anxiety I guess... I can't help it, last time I tried to, I had the worst low ever, so I just let them happen now, I'm sorry, I'll try to- " she said but was interrupted.

"Listen you don't have to explain yourself to me, remember? I may not know how you feel all the time or what you're not feeling but I can try... so if you ever need to just let it out call me and I'll be right there to hold you" he said, trying to reassure her.

She looked at him with those big brown eyes... she was with him and in his presence... but she was somewhere else.

"You're lying right?" She said, but not really believing him.

"No I'm being dead serious, I mean it with everything I have, why won't you believe me" he said while trying mot to raise his voice or get mad, but he knew that he couldn't be mad at her.

"Because... because that's what the others did, they told me they'd be there for me whenever I needed them, I said the same to the them, only difference about us was that I kept my word but when it came to them they left me there alone... when I needed them the most they weren't there..."

"Look at me" he said.

But she didn't.

"Baby look at me, I'm sorry they weren't there for you, but I'm not them okay, I'm Max, the Max who is going to be there for you, always..." he said hoping that she would believe him.

"You're not going to leave and say that it's not your problem or that you have your own problems?" She asked.

"I promise I won't Ebony" he held his pinky out for her to hold, they pinky promised, and everyone knows that it's unbreakable.

"You really mean it?" She said while still holding on to his hand.

"Of course I do, you mean a lot to me, if I could take all this away from you, I would, in a heartbeat" he said.

He hugged her again, drawing small circles on her back, which led to her soothing into his touch.

"I've never had someone who was really there for me" she whispered into his shoulder. When she said that, Max's heart broke for her, he didn't understand why she had no friends, he truly believed that she was the best person to be around whenever, he loved being around her.