Temptation

"It is written: Do not put the LORD your God to the test." -Luke 4:12

After being baptized by John, Jesus went into the wilderness where he fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. While he fasted in the desert, he was approached by Satan. Now demons knew who Jesus is and are afraid of him. However, this didn't stop Satan from trying to turn Jesus. In Luke 4:3, Satan approaches Jesus and says, "If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread." However, Jesus relents and replies, "It is written: Man shall not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." Not one to give up easily, Satan takes Jesus to the top of Jerusalem and says, "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written: "He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands." However, Jesus replies, "It is also written: 'Do not put the LORD your God to the test." Finally, Satan takes Jesus to a very high mountain and showed him "All of the kingdoms of the world and their splendor." He says to Jesus, "All of this I will give you if you bow down and worship me." Jesus responds, "Away from me Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the LORD your God and serve him only." Satan leaves Jesus and angels arrive and tend to him. This moment in Jesus' life is highly important because it shows how much power and spirit Jesus has in him. Not even the greatest tempter could sway him. However, we have the ability to overcome temptation in our lives. We should have to trust that God is enough and that nothing can fulfill us but Him.