Friend of Sinners

"On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have come for the sinners."
-Mark 2:17

Jesus got a lot of criticism from the Pharisees, a group of Jewish officials who were hypocrites in their teachings for one thing: he befriended sinners. One of his disciples was a tax collector named Matthew. Now back in those days, tax collectors for the Romans were hated and stole money from people. However, Jesus still accepts him and regards him as a friend. The Pharisees ask Jesus why he is being friends with sinners and Jesus responds that he isn't here for the healthy but for the sinners. Later, Jesus tells a parable about a tax collector and a Pharisee: ""Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."" One time the Pharisees bring an adulterous woman before Jesus, and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. "In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" (John 8:4-5) Jesus bends down and writes on the ground with his finger. The Pharisees keep questioning him. Finally, he gets up and says "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." The Pharisees knew that they couldn't lie and drop their stones to the ground and leave. After they all leave, Jesus walks over to the woman and asks, "Woman where are they? Who condemned you?" The woman is confused and responds, "No one sir." Jesus kiss her on her forehead and responds, "Then neither do I condemn you. Go now and sin no more." You don't have to be perfect to be friends with Jesus. Come to him with all of your shame and guilt and he will free you from the chains forever.