Walking Disco Balls and My Wicked Step-Mother

When I started telling him the story, he had complained about why I had waited a year to tell him.

Well, I'm sorry if I don't have an endless supply of drachmas to use to IM my dearest brother. I'm just a poor seventeen year old girl. (My birthday had already passed a few months ago. HBD to me!) I'm broke. Me no have money. Mortal or godly.

Anyway, I told Nico what I discovered. You know, with the Cullens and whatever.

"I'm serious, Nico." I tried to keep a straight face, but it didn't help that my brother kept joking about walking disco balls.

My older brother -- and I mean it when I say that he's really old -- was never really the type that you'd find hanging around with people and laughing. He was dark and brooding. One look at him and you stay away from him. I'm glad that I'm one of those people who can get past the walls he surrounds himself with. I cherish every time we talk. I mean, it's really hard to get the man to talk, much less smile.

"Sorry," he muttered, a grin still plastered on his face.

I raised an eyebrow. "What's gotten you so giddy?" Sure, he lets me see past the walls, but this was a little too much. I wasn't used to it.

"Wh-what do you mean?"

"You're acting really different," I said. "What's her name?"

Of course, I had to assume that it was a girl. I mean, why else would he be so... happy?

Nico's smile faded.

"Uh, you think you can ask around the Underworld?" I tried changing the subject. I had a feeling it wasn't something he'd want to talk about. Although I knew he won't actually hurt me, Nico could be pretty scary at times.

He forced a smile, failing. Instead, he almost looked constipated. Not that I'd tell him that.

He shrugged. "I don't think anyone would tell me anything about sparkly vampires-"

"Sparklepires," I told him. "It's shorter."

He rolled his eyes. "I don't think anyone'll tell me about sparklepires," he said. "In case you hadn't noticed, everyone's busy down there."

I rolled my eyes. "Check Elysium. I bet no one's busy wandering around or being punished."

"I don't spend all my time in the Underworld, you know."

I shrugged. "I just figured that since I can't really go to the Underworld without my mom knowing, you'd be willing to do a favor. You know, for me, your cute and adorable little sister."

"I'd agree with you. but that last part was pretty inaccurate."

"I hate you."

"I know."

The IM had to end there because my mom called me down for dinner. After a quick goodbye, I waved a hand through the mist then headed downstairs,

~*~

Sitting on the hood of my Porsche, I watched as the Cullens arrived.

Bella arrived and was immediately surrounded by her group of friends. Apparently, it was her birthday today.

I'm pretty sure she still doesn't know who I am. I don't know why, but I was subtly leaving her hints that I knew about the Cullens. Maybe it was because I don't entirely trust them.

I mean, they're vampires! Actually, they claimed to only be drinking animal blood, but still. I honestly don't trust monsters.

I'd rather visit my father while I'm still alive than to have a permanent residence in the Underworld. Then again, it wouldn't be permanent if I choose to be reincarnated.

Okay, getting off topic now. So, where was I? Oh, yeah, school.

I ignored the glares I had been getting from the rest of the Cullens. I knew their secret and they have no idea what mine is, so I guess it's understandable.

The bell rang and I groaned. I'm a demigod without dyslexia - not all of us are diagnosed with it - so I have no excuse for flunking school. My ADHD's a great excuse for that but some demons *cough* teachers *cough* just don't seem to care about that.

Like seriously, I can't please everyone. No need to hate on me for not paying attention. School's just really boring.

Anyway... I headed to class, preparing myself for another boring day ahead.

Skipping all the unimportant details, I headed over to the guys in La Push after school. Yeah, it was the same old routine, really.

The days after, I noticed the other Cullen was missing. The one who can see the future, the pixie. I can't exactly remember her name.

Anyway, it's really unfair. They can skip school whenever they like. Actually, now that I know they're vamps, I can kinda understand them. Maybe. I mean, repeating high school? High school's okay and all, but going through high school all over again? That's like being stuck in the Fields of Punishment. I'd rather be my step-mother's servant than repeat all four years.

Speaking of high school, I'm a junior now. Yay me. Not. I actually can't believe I might graduate next year! Extra emphasis on the might.

I'm a demigod. That just means I won't live very long. But then again, there's my cousin Percy and his wife, Annabeth. And I shouldn't forget my big brother, really.

I'll rephrase what I had said. I'm not like my cousin or my brother. I won't live as long as them.

I'm also really confused right now. Wasn't I talking about the sparklepires earlier?