Chapter 20: The Window

I met a superhero
I lost her
I want her back

The sound of engine roaring loudly in the morning woke me up with a start.

"Katherine Solace!" A voice I recognized as my Mom's yelled as she burst my door open.

I sat up lazily, rubbing my eyes and yawning. "What's up?"

My eyes glanced at my clock beside me, looking at it in confusion. It was minutes before my alarm went off, so I was really unhappy about me being missing a few minutes of sleep.

"Why are you waking me up so early?" I asked in a whiny voice as Mom put a hand in her waist. "And why does it sound like someone's starting a drag race outside?"

"Because there's a boy outside riding a yellow Ferrari," Mom raised an eyebrow. She tried to look strict, but it was hard to take her seriously with her brown hair wound up in a side ponytail and her face covered with a green facial mask. She was even wearing her rainbow robe that I got for her and fuzzy pink slippers. "He claims he's here to fetch you to school. He's also the one who brought you home late at night the last time."

My eyebrows tied up together in confusion, immediately running towards my window to see the driveway. There was in fact a yellow Ferrari with its hood down, and in front of our door was Ryder Rowland.

As if that wasn't bad enough, he was talking to Karl.

I ran away from my window, hoping to take Ryder away from my brother before Karl said something stupid or embarrassing. I don't even know why he was awake at this time.

Unfortunately, Mom had a iron grip on my arm, forcing me to stay in my room and confront her.

"Why on earth do you have two different boys driving you to school these days, huh?" she asked, narrowing her brown eyes at my green ones. "Katherine Belle Solace, what are you up to?"

"Nothing, Mom," I exasperated, desperately wanting to go down. "They're just my friends."

"Oh, no, I'm not dumb," she said, gripping on me harder when I tried to escape. "I'm not like your father."

"Hey!" Dad interjected, marching in my room. I stifled a laugh as he stood beside Mom, studying him from top to bottom. He was wearing the same facial mask, rainbow robe and fuzzy pink slippers. I had no idea what my parents were up to, but they were usually pretty weird.

"Honey, you really are." Mom crinkled her nose.

"If I'm so dumb, then why did you marry me?"

"Believe me, I asked myself that too many times."

They bickered back and forth about whatever that was that I managed to escape. With ease, I stepped out of my room, running towards my brother and the devil himself.

Before I could reach the bottom of the stairs though, Grams blocked my way.

"Not so fast, young lady," she sternly commanded, wagging a saggy but manicured finger in front of my face.

Grams decided to visit us and stay in yesterday to reasons I wasn't quite sure yet. She claimed to miss us, but I still found it kind of odd that she'd visit us out of nowhere. She wasn't the type to drop by unexpectedly since she'd rather make herself known.

She was my mom's mother, and I supposed I got the crazy from her. She loved to gossip and spoil me with things, and I really loved hanging out with her.

"Yes, Grams?" I asked innocently, knowing she wouldn't get mad like my mom did.

She grinned as wildly as her gray hair was. "Just wanted to say that he's really hot. I wish they made boys like that back in my day. They weren't as dashing as they are now."