Chapter 37: The Squad

We don't give a fuck
And we're never gonna change
Say, won't you say forever stay
If you stay forever hey
We can stay forever young

The moment I saw his smile, I melted.

"Ivan," I breathed out in relief, my eyes watering with tears of joy.

There he was, lying down on his elevated seat. It saddened me to see that there were plenty of things connected to him to keep him alive and how much his appearance changed. Despite the apparent weight loss, the dark bags under his eyes, and the semi-bloodshot eyes though, he was glowing with life, and I was thankful enough for that.

His room, as all hospital rooms were, was plain—yet with Ivan there, with his bright smile on his handsome face—he was the only decoration any room needed. He had this dazzling effect that could lift up anybody's spirits just by being in the same room with him.

"Hey, babe," he greeted weakly. "What are you doing just standing the—"

He didn't have to complete his sentence. I ran towards him and wrapped my arms around him, my tears betraying me and falling out of my eyes. He chuckled as he hugged me back with one hand, his other one running through my hair.

"I'm sorry," I choked back my tears, hugging him tighter. "I'm so sorry."

He gently unwrapped my arms around him and cupped my face, wiping my tears away.

"What are you sorry for?" he mused as I hiccuped. "None of this was your fault."

I shook my head. "I-I shouldn't have h-hurt you."

"Even if you didn't, this would still happen," he assured as he brushed my a hair away from my face. He drank in my features and smiled. "Besides, I would have let you hurt me over and over again if it meant being with you and having all those memories with you."

I think I might have cried harder.

"You're too much." I chuckled as tears continued streaming down my face.

"It's true," he said, his chocolate colored eyes blazing with passion. "I'd rather die tomorrow than live a hundred years without knowing you, babe."

"Aside from the fact that you just quoted Pocahontas," I called out, causing him to burst into laughter. "I feel the same way. You have no idea how worried I was. I thought I was never going to see you again."

"Well, here I am," he gestured towards himself, winking.

I couldn't help it. I threw myself back at him, hugging him once again.

"I promise I'd be here for you this time," I whispered in his ear genuinely, hoping he'd feel how real I was being this time. "Through every step of your recovery, I'll be there. You can count on that."

"Thanks, Kath," he whispered back, hugging me as tight as he could.

"Okay, Kath, stop hogging him," a voice tutted. I let go of Ivan to see Logan at the door with Zachary behind him. Logan smiled at the both of us, with dimples and all. "It's my turn."

"Come here, dudes," Ivan chuckled, spreading his arms.

Logan literally fast-walked towards Ivan, giving him a long overdue hug. I smiled softly at the reunited best friends and let my eyes dart to Zachary, who was already looking at me.

I quickly looked away from him, already feeling like I drowned in his eyes. I got up to my feet and exited the room, but not before taking a peek at Zachary hugging Ivan. Despite my mixed feelings for him, I was glad that they were sorting things out.