Chapter 9: The story of Naruto Uzumaki [Land of Waves]

Author note: So... why am I doing these Naruto recap chapters? It's for a number of reasons. 1. These are the in universe moments Naruto tells Aang and friends about his world. 2. Because this story right now is a retelling of Avatar: TLA series with Naruto added, and I feel like some more Naruto content in that would be cool. 3. Maybe there are some Avatar fans who look at this story, instead of just looking everything up in wikipedia, the formerly Avatar only audience can learn about Naruto at the same time as Aang and friends. 4. Honestly, the main reason I write these is because of how much I love the Naruto series. It is my favorite manga/anime of all time and I get happy reminding myself of what happened to Naruto as I write these recaps... Kishimoto just made a compelling world with great characters, and it makes me happy to continue to dive into that world.
~Sage

"Naruto, can I ask you a question?" Aang asked as they flew toward their next destination.
"Sure, what is it?" Naruto asked.
"You said that in your first real mission as a ninja, you learned that fear is a choice... what was that mission like?" Aang asked. Naruto smiled.
"Well... it was a crazy mission. You see missions are given to ninja at certain levels depending on how hard those missions are. The D rank missions are the easiest, things like babysitting or walking someone's dog. Then there are C rank missions that. Those are things like protect someone from common bandits. B ranks are pretty tough, like protecting someone from enemy ninja. A ranks and S ranks are extremely dangerous... there is no telling if you'll come back from those alive." Naruto explained.
"How do you know when you're ready for these types of missions?" Sokka asked.
"Well, ninja are ranked as well. Genin level is the lowest level of ninja. They are student ninja. Chunin level is the mid level, they can be leaders of their own squad or they can become teachers at the Academy level, the academy is where you learn ninja basics before you graduate to become a Genin. Next is Jonin... they are the master ninja. They normally are chosen to teach Genin ninja as squad leaders since they have seen the mose dangerous missions and lived." Naruto explained.
"So you're first real mission... I assume it wasn't a D rank... you wouldn't consider those real missions." Katara stated. Naruto shook his head.
"You're right. I don't" Naruto replied.
"It all happened like this...."

Flashback
The Third Hokage, Hiruzen Sarutobi, was explaining to Naruto why he and his team, Team 7 only were assigned D rank missions after Naruto demanded to recieve a more difficult mission.
"Level D task are the best you could aspire to." Hiruzen said as he finished his explaination. However, Naruto wasn't listening at all.
"Hmmm.... I had pork ramen for lunch yesterday... so I think I'll have miso ramen today." Naruto whispered to himself as he sat on the floor, his back to the Hokage.
"ARE YOU LISTENING?" Hiruzen yelled as Kakashi Hatake, the leader of Team 7 and Naruto's sensei rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment.
"I-I'm sorry." Kakashi apoligized quickly.
"I don't want to hear it! All the old fart ever does is apoligize and then give me a lecture." Naruto stated as he shifted himself to he can sit on the ground facing the Hokage and his former teacher Iruka next to him.
"But it's not fair. There's more to me than the trouble making screw up.... THE OLD MAN THINKS I AM!" Naruto declared. Kakashi sighed.
'I am going to be in so much trouble for this later.' Kakashi thought. However, Hiruzen and Iruka smiled.
"Very well." Hiruzen said.
"Eh?" Naruto asked.
"Since you put it that way..." Hiruzen started to say. Sasuke glared at Naruto for potentially getting them in trouble and Kakashi and Sakura's eyes widened in fear of what the Hokage would say next.
"I will permit you to attempt a C grade task, usually reserved for shinobi of the Chunin level... the protection of a certain individual." Hiruzen announced.
'Heh heh.... mischief making has been his only means of self expression' Hiruzen thought, realizing that Naruto would always think that he thought of him as a trouble maker unless he showed more trust in the young Genin.
"All right!" Naruto cheered in joy. Kakashi, Sakura, and Sasuke let out a sigh of relief.
"Who is it? Some great lord? The daimyo!? (The daimyo is the ruler of one of the 5 great nations. They work with their ninja villages Kage in order to govern the land) A princess?!" Naruto asked.
"Compose yourself. I'll perform the introductions straightaway." Hiruzen instructed Naruto before saying, "Please invite him in.." to a ninja guard at the door to the Hokage's office.